Talk

Advanced search

Is 12 mths too young to drop morning nap?

(12 Posts)
Twickersmum76 Tue 16-Dec-14 11:48:21

Hi mums

My DD has refused her morning nap for the last 3 days (the first day at home, the last 2 at her new nursery). She's 1 yr this week (YAY!).

Up until this point, she's been doing 1 hr at 9am and then 2 hrs at midday.

The nursery say it's normal for this age to drop it but I thought it was around 18 mths? I can't help but feel it may just be that she's unsettled being in a new nursery (started full time this week).

Last night she was beyond tired when I picked her up after only managing an hour at lunchtime - she didn't even smile at me once which is a first.

Would love your thoughts...

Thanks

RonaldMcFartNuggets Tue 16-Dec-14 11:50:50

Nope, my son did the same. Dropped at 12 months, all his friends were still having two naps at 18 months fenvy

He's always been very energetic and not needed much sleep so I wasn't surprised!

AlmaMartyr Tue 16-Dec-14 11:52:08

I think it differs a lot but FWIW, my DD dropped her morning nap at around 7 to 8 months, then stopped napping altogether at 18 months. She was a terror for naps though. DS dropped morning naps just before his first birthday and his second nap just before he turned 2. I found there was always a transition period where they were dropping naps where they didn't nap, but were really grumpy and tired until they adjusted.

Twickersmum76 Tue 16-Dec-14 13:50:36

Thanks guys - maybe she is ready... and seeing the older ones at nursery not doing 2 has pushed her to stop as well. I guess we'll just have to watch and see...

ilovepowerhoop Tue 16-Dec-14 13:55:36

both mine dropped to 1 nap around 11 months

GothicRainbow Tue 16-Dec-14 13:58:35

My DS dropped to 1 nap just at 12 months.

He is now 18 months and some days he'll have a 2 hour nap, some days half an hour and recently we've even had no naps at all (longest days ever!)

PassTheCremeEggs Tue 16-Dec-14 13:59:07

My first kept her morning nap until 18 months. She only had it at home though not nursery. IMO nurseries usually encourage stopping it because it doesn't really fit in with their routines if half have it and half don't.

flanjabelle Tue 16-Dec-14 13:59:15

Dd is 14 months and has dropped her morning nap. she now has a long nap around midday and goes to bed slightly earlier.

elelfrance Tue 16-Dec-14 14:00:54

my LO dropped the morning nap at that age too, and to be honest we found it great...she wouldn't really sleep in the buggy, so it tied us to home a lot having to be there for both naps, now at least we can go places in the morning...she also slept longer in the afternoon

nottheOP Tue 16-Dec-14 14:02:11

DS had a lunch time nap and a nap at about 4.30. He went to bed a bit later as a result (more like 8.30)

I can't quite remember when he moved to one nap, around 15 months maybe

Rtfairy Tue 16-Dec-14 16:28:56

My dd is 12.5 months she dropped her morning nap a couple of weeks ago and now has a good 2 hours after lunch.

Feelinghungry Tue 16-Dec-14 16:47:22

DS dropped his morning nap around 10/11 months. Now does 1.5 to 2 hours at lunchtime. Since dropping his morning nap he is sleeping in later ie: instead of waking up at 6:30 am now often wakes around 7:30 am which is a nice trade for the morning nap I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now