Talk

Advanced search

9 month sleep regression?

(6 Posts)
angelopal Fri 12-Dec-14 14:00:23

Dd is 9 months and for the last week and a half her sleep has been awful. She used to sleep roughly 7-7 but has been waking up multiple times a night. Sometimes it can take 2-3 hours to settle her.

Thought it might be teething though she is happy enough during the day and nothing seems to be happening. We have been giving teething gel and calpol if she is really screaming just in case.

She is also only having one nap some days so is not really making up the sleep.

Is this a sleep regression? I know we have been lucky so far but its hit us hard.

Any advice appreciated.

angelopal Sun 14-Dec-14 08:24:45

Anyone.

CoconutSponge Sun 14-Dec-14 10:12:51

I am no expert but apparently there is a sleep regression around 9 months, so it could be that, although are you giving pain relief only when she wakes up?

Teething can be worse at night, so I would try giving a dose at bedtime as that should work better than waiting until she is waking up in pain and then give a second dose if / when she wakes. Pain relief works better given early and regularly so gives it the best chance to work.

It sounds also as if she has become overtired, (as have you !) after being used to 12 hour sleeps recently and that can affect naps during the day as well in that she then won't nap as well in the day or at night either so it becomes a catch 22 if you see what I mean?

So I would try pre-emptive pain relief at bedtime and if she wakes for a few nights to see if things improve over a few days.

Hope that helps and you get some better nights soon x

CoconutSponge Sun 14-Dec-14 10:15:47

Sorry forgot to add you can also alternate Ibuprofen and Paracetamol for maximum pain relief depending on timing and if she is not allergic or anything. I also would not give Ibuprofen on an empty stomach.

burgatroyd Sun 14-Dec-14 10:58:29

It sounds like she's teething. Its just a phase.

angelopal Sun 14-Dec-14 13:37:05

Thanks for the replies. She has never been the best napper but as she slept well at night it didnt bother me.

Will try alternating calpol and nurofen tonight and see if it helps. We have also been applying teething gel.

Trying to get her to nap now but even though she is yawning she is crawling and pulling herself up in her cot. Think I will try and take her for a walk to see if that helps.

Its just so frustrating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now