Talk

Advanced search

Do you offer water?

(12 Posts)
AndWhat Thu 11-Dec-14 13:56:17

my DS is months and wakes at least twice during the night. It is becoming unbearable!
We have tried many things and it seems to be 1 step forward then 1 back.
He is finally back in his cot in his own room after a long time of no sleep co-sleeping!
He is currently settling after a 7oz bottle of milk at 7-8pm then briefly wakes searching for his dummy(another thread in itself). Then wakes for more milk before finally waking for the morning at 7.
I've tried offering water instead but he just throws the bottle and screams until he gets milk. In turn this is meaning he needs to be changed during the night as he is soaked through which wakes him, and the cycle starts again.
Should I be offering water and putting up with the screams, offer nothing and hope he stops soon or just carry on with the milk?

ilovepowerhoop Thu 11-Dec-14 13:57:50

What age? I didn't offer water but offered progressively less milk in the bottle

nottheOP Thu 11-Dec-14 14:02:00

I night weaned at 7.5 months old. I reduced the ozs in his bottle one by one, every 3 nights. He did CIO for 12 minutes when he woke up on the last night but he hasn't had milk at night time since.

I did wait until he was weaned onto food and eating well. I felt confident that he didnt need the food and that it was just a habit.

AndWhat Thu 11-Dec-14 14:38:12

Sorry it should have read 16months he's well weaned and eats very well! I have tried reducing he gets down to 4ozs but when I try 3 he kicks off big style!

DahliaBloom Thu 11-Dec-14 14:45:39

My second dc was still waking up once or twice a night for a feed at 16 months - I thought he'd just stop like his brother did, but he didn't and I was exhausted!

So yes - I just offered him a bottle of water instead. He pushed it away and cried and was furious; I kept cuddling and offering and after about an hour and a half, he fell asleep and I put him back in his cot. Same thing happened the next night, then that was it - has slept through ever since. (He's five now smile)

nottheOP Thu 11-Dec-14 14:47:59

At 16 months I would definitely stop completely. There is no need for it... the milk bar is closed!

roofio87 Thu 11-Dec-14 15:05:10

so glad I've read this. we are in the same position here with 14mo ds. I have night weaned 3 times now and then we've slipped back into it. so I'm saying no more now. no more milk at night even if poorly and teething. will be a tough few nights but I'm going to do it!!

roofio87 Fri 12-Dec-14 07:55:51

Andwhat did you try no milk.last night?! We were up for an hour at 2 and half an hour at 4 distracting the hell out of ds but didn't give any milk. He went back down and slept till 7 45 so definitely not that hungry!! glad I stuck to my guns. hope you had a good night!

AndWhat Fri 12-Dec-14 12:36:26

yes roofio87 we had night 1 of no milk! He came home from nursery absolutely shattered so just gave him some supper and milk in a proper cup (which he managed to drink I was so impressed) then bath and bed.
He settled down with a mouthful of water which was in a bottle as I didn't want to take all his comfort away at once.
He woke at 1 and had some more water then settled back down then he was up every 10 mins from 3-4.30. However he is full of phlegm at the moment so think it was that and coughing keeping him awake as he kept settling back down.
Take 2 tonight, I'm not backing down i'm telling myself I'm the parent and I'm in charge!

roofio87 Fri 12-Dec-14 16:40:12

glad it went well for you. Yes, I am determined to not back down either, or my efforts will be wasted! hoping he just wakes the once tonight! my ds weaned himself off bottles when he cut his top teeth, but we have just moved to letting him drink his milk himself so no more mummy feeding it to him. hoping this helps too!
hope night 2 goes well smile

AndWhat Mon 15-Dec-14 20:12:01

Hows it going roofio? We are day 5 of no milk and DS is doing well, he's still waking a lot but is happy taking water instead. I'm hoping to give it to the end of this week and try changing from his bottle to a cup with his water in as he's refused the cup during the night in the past.

roofio87 Mon 15-Dec-14 20:55:26

Hello!!! glad he's taking it to it well. dare I say it, but ds slept through last night 7 till 7!!! he grumbled a few times but I left him and he went back to sleep. fingers crossed he's learnt there's nothing worth waking up for anymore! hope your nights continue to improve!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now