Talk

Advanced search

How the devil do you do a bedtime routine with a high needs 3 month old and toddler? Help please!!

(4 Posts)
Jemimapuddleduk Wed 10-Dec-14 12:17:03

Hi- i have a 20 month old and a 3 month old. Often my husband is away/working late so I have to do bedtime solo. Family have been helping out when Dh is away but I need to figure a way to do it alone.
My toddlers bedtime routine starts at around 6 with bath, bottle, night garden, story and down for 7 on bath nights and 6.30 non bath nights. She tends to fuss for 10 minutes or so when in cot then off to sleep. Newborn is very colicky and has silent reflux and can get very agitated by bedtime. His routine is bath at 6.45 ish, bf then bed by 7.30. However he doesn't like being left alone whilst i see to toddler and will scream which then makes toddler scream and she won't settle either. Breastfeeding whilst reading to toddler doesn't work either as newborn fusses a lot and needs full attention and ideally to be fed in dark with minimal distraction. It's do-able with 2 of us but tricky alone. Wondering if shifting times/ routines around would help. Would you mind sharing how you do it?
Tia

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 10-Dec-14 14:12:02

Is there a reason you don't bath them together?

Both into bath (baby on support seat). Baby out of bath and into clothes in bathroom whilst supervising toddler.

Toddler out of bath and into pjs. Bottle (Baby in bouncy chair for this bit, jiggled, quick cuddle etc if gets too upset).

Baby gets bf whilst watching ITNG together.

Toddler to bed. Bf baby again if needed and settle?

Jemimapuddleduk Wed 10-Dec-14 15:22:43

Thanks penguin. I will look into getting a support seat and i could bathe together. At the mo we use a baby bath for littlest. He also gets quite fractious in the bath but maybe with distraction of toddler would be better?
Thanks for the ideas. I am so sleep deprived I am finding it hard to find solutions!

TimeForBreakfast Wed 10-Dec-14 15:25:42

I'm with Penguins. Definitely bath the kids together, and bring the TV into play. One thing I tried was putting baby to bed while toddler was distracted and watching TV. Would that work for you? Then you get to have snuggly one-on-one time with your toddler over a story. Doesn't always work - kids, eh? - but cd be worth a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now