Talk

Advanced search

Co sleeping - help

(9 Posts)
ilovetosleep Mon 08-Dec-14 22:10:36

DS2 is 8 months and an utterly hideous sleeper. Wakes and feeds (only sat upright) between hourly and two hourly between 7pm bedtime and 6am wake up. I am broken. Co sleeping doesn't help the wake ups/resettling but at least I don't have to actually get out of bed despite still having to pick him up. Anyway last night he rolled the full width Ofa superkingsize (I was hanging off one edge) and landed on the floor with an almighty thud and lots of screaming. It was about 6 am and I was in such a deep sleep I didn't notice he'd gone until it was too late. Obv don't want it to happen again - what shld I do? I assume a bank of cushions on the bed is a bad idea? Suffocation risk or something? Brand new £££ upholstered bed so don't really want to screw on a bed guard. Tried pushing cot up against bed but there Is a dangerous gap. Any tips?

GreatJoanUmber Mon 08-Dec-14 22:16:11

How about a co-sleeper cot? One of those cots that only have three sides, and a height-adjustable mattress. You are able to put them right by your bed, baby has his own enclosed sleeping place and yet is within arm's reach.
I bought one especially for DS3 as DS2 was an atrocious sleeper. DS3 sleeps marginally better, but it's definitely been money well spent for me.

cherubimandseraphim Mon 08-Dec-14 22:17:07

Can you fill the gap somehow if the cot's up against the bed? What's causing the gap?

You can get bed guards that fit underneath the mattress rather than screw on. Haven't used one so not sure if they are safe though.

I cosleep with DD and if DH is in the bed she's between us; if he isn't she us on the side where the cot is up against the bed (ikea Gulliver). I have also been paranoid that DD will fall off (she hasn't yet, probably just through luck), but my solution was to pad the bedside table with pillows and to buy a cheap inflatable mattress that I put down alongside the bed at night - just in case she was to roll off. Used to cover it with a spare duvet too but now I leave it as it is. It only cost about £9 and I hope it would do enough to break her fall if she fell. I'm hoping I'd wake up quickly if she did - she's 2 now though so reasonably robust.

Sam135 Tue 09-Dec-14 20:10:27

We also have the ikea gulliver toddler bed (with sides) bungied to our kingsize. Its about 2" lower so DD (3 years 6 months) doesnt roll into is so much and there are no gaps. She's always had trouble sleeping all through the night and I find its much easier to put an arm round her and she hours straight back to sleep. Can't face trip to another room!

amroc18 Wed 10-Dec-14 06:38:36

I co-sleep with 7 mo DS and use foam bed guards that go under the sheet and create a ridge at edge of bed to stop rolling out. Got ours from amazon made by purple daisies. Makes getting into bed interesting when you're short like me though grin other guards seemed to be for older children only on safety grounds.

ilovetosleep Wed 10-Dec-14 12:22:50

Thanks for the tips. I have actually got some of those foam bed guards from DS1! great idea. Am also investing in a sleepyhead grande ...

StripedCandycaneOss Wed 10-Dec-14 22:08:20

we tied the bars of the cotbed to the side of the bed, so dd either rolled into those, or into me!

NickyEds Thu 11-Dec-14 14:50:20

This is going to sound silly. I don't co-sleep all night with ds but he wakes up at 5am and will sometimes go back till 7 in bed with me. He's nearly one so can obviously crawl off the bed if he wants. He sleeps in a gro-bag and it's quite long. I tuck a bottom corner of it under a bit of me so he can't roll away from me!

softlysoftly Fri 12-Dec-14 10:45:27

Pool noodle under the sheet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now