Talk

Advanced search

Swaddling

(5 Posts)
ToTheMoonAndStars Sun 07-Dec-14 22:20:56

My DS is 12 weeks. He's not a terrible sleeper and is starting to learn to self settle.

However! He is the wriggly eat, squirmiest baby ever. He moves almost constantly during the day and is seemingly never still.

Up until he found his hands at about 7 weeks, we were able to put him in his Moses basket with blankets on and he would sleep beautifully. Now though, he'll sleep fine on us, but as soon as we put him down, he'll wake himself up moving his arms and legs so much. So we swaddle him. It really helps him to settle and means he sleeps for longer than 30 mins at a time. I think he is also beginning to associate his swaddle with sleepy time he seems happy to be swaddled.

I'm a bit concerned thpugh as I thought only v v new babies should be swaddled. Obviously we can't swaddle him forever and I'm a tad anxious we might be making a rod for our own backs? Is it usual still be swaddling at 3 months?

mrshope Mon 08-Dec-14 07:09:07

I swaddled until nearly 5 months and really worried as well.
Just like you my DS' arms would flap around and wake him up so the only way to get him to sleep was the swaddle.
We then moved him to a product called the swaddle up which was amazing and within a week had him in a sleeping bag. He just needed to grow into his arms! DS definitely associated being swaddled with sleeping but you can always change this.
I would just go with what works at the moment. We wanted to get rid of the swaddling due to him learning to roll

Heatherbell1978 Wed 10-Dec-14 20:00:22

We gave up swaddling DS1 when he was about 4 weeks as he was so squirmy he would make his way out of every swaddle I tried. First few nights in his sleeping bag he constantly woke himself up but it only lasted a few days, he's been sleeping peacefully since about 6 wks (now 15 wks) so it's just a developmental thing they grow out of.

ScarlettOHaraHamilton Wed 10-Dec-14 20:08:21

I think we swaddled until around 6m, when DD started to roll herself over. Then we sort of let her have one arm out, then progressed to a sleeping bag where we often zipped her arms in grin

It's definitely not unusual at his age, especially if he likes it and it helps him sleep. Once he gets more movement and coordination he will start to feel more comfortable without the swaddle, but no need to rush it if he fits in a safe swaddle and he's happy with it.

misskipper Fri 12-Dec-14 15:35:24

My amazing friend and mum of 3 gorgeous girls sent me 2 of these when my DD was born 10 weeks ago. They are brilliant. They swaddle, allowing baby to move whilst still feeling snug. The second stage eventually becomes a sleeping bag. My DD has been wearing one since she was about 3 weeks old and only wakes to be fed at night. Putting it on has become part of her bedtime routine.
www.cheekyrascals.co.uk/shop-by-brand/love-to-dream/love-to-swaddle-up-organic.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now