Talk

Advanced search

4 weeks-baby doesn't sleep much at all

(2 Posts)
msn1946 Sun 07-Dec-14 19:56:53

Hi,
My 4 week old hasn't been sleeping much during the day or the night. In the first 2-3 weeks, she would nap really well at least during the day time and wake up every 3 hours like clock work. At night she had no schedule. But now since week 4, she doesn't nap longer than an hour at a time during the day. At night, I put her to sleep after a bath at 8 after much rocking. She usually wakes up at 10:30 for a feed and then all bets are off. Sometimes she falls asleep immediately, but sometimes it takes her 2 hours. We have to keep holding her and rocking her. The minute we put her down in the co-sleeper she's up again. If we do manage to get her to sleep somehow, she's up in an hour ready to feed. I have made sure it's not because of hunger by trying 4 oz of expressed milk at night - no change in behavior. I am not sure how to get her to sleep at least 3 hour chunks at night. It's really really exhausting. Come day time, the same thing keeps continuing.
Anyone have any advice for me?

KitKat1985 Sun 07-Dec-14 22:16:46

My DD was like this and I think it's quite common that babies this young only want to sleep on you and not in their cribs etc. I found playing womb noise to her when we out her down helped keep her asleep and settled. Or sometimes I just found it easier to let her sleep on me and get myself into a position where I could at least sleep too. It's also quite common for babies this young not too sleep for particularly long periods as their stomach capacities are tiny, so they will keep waking for feeds, so I wouldn't worry too much about her not sleeping for 3+ hours at a time yet. It will get better, honest. The first 2-3 months are exhausting so just try and get as much sleep as you can, day or night. Also if you are expressing milk get someone else to feed her sometimes for a couple of hours so you can get some sleep. Very young babies just don't like to be separated from their carers, but she will get more used to it in time and learn that night-time is for sleeping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now