Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else had a baby that "didn't settle for a very long time"?

(12 Posts)
sksk Tue 02-Dec-14 13:56:13

Just curious. Even my health visitors have conceded that my 16 month old DS seems like one of them! If you've been through this, how did you cope? I've given up on ever being able to sleep again for a very log time. And what if I have another the same? I'm not planning another one yet!

Starch1e Tue 02-Dec-14 20:04:27

Me! About to post/rant myself...

Iggly Tue 02-Dec-14 20:06:20

What do you mean exactly? Waking up at night or going to bed late or both?

PotteringAlong Tue 02-Dec-14 20:06:37

Yes! Ds1 is 3 tomorrow and still didn't sleep through the night with regularity!

Nodney Tue 02-Dec-14 20:10:10

My DS is 17months and still feeds to sleep every evening and 2 - 3 times per night too. He just can't self settle and hates being out of my sight for even a moment. I've tried co-sleeping or just moving his cot into my room but nothing helps. I won't leave him to cry it out so I'm stuck. I'm exhausted, have a DS 3 and DS7 and have no idea when it'll get better. I've tried the no cry sleep solution, sitting by the bed, or by the door but nothing works!

sksk Wed 03-Dec-14 21:29:15

More waking at night. And not good with weekend naps during the day. Must be because he is at nursery all week. He also won't eat properly at home. Or sit in a high hair or booster seat. Or a chair. Won't lie in a changing mat. Can't change his clothes or nappy without a battle. Screams and is clingy when I bring him home in the evening. Poor thing has had a cold for over a month and is probably teething. Bless him, I'm sure it is just a difficult phase. I sympathise with you all. Who needs sleep?

EmmaLL25 Fri 05-Dec-14 19:46:50

Sounds a lot like my DS 18 months. Usually wakes hourly until I co-sleep. Currently bf to sleep despite periods of not needing it to sleep.

Clingy at moment because he's getting over ear and chest infection. Picking at food too. He's looking a bit washed out : (

He's gets really bothered by teething so I hold that responsible for a lot.

I'm just hoping he grows out of it!

ImogenQuy Fri 05-Dec-14 19:50:38

Me. DS was diabolical - I've lost a year and a half of my life because the sleep deprivation wiped my long-term memory. He finally started sleeping through the night, in his own bed, when he was 3.5. And he never napped reliably, even as a newborn. And he was dreadfully clingy for a long time between 1 and about 2.5.

The positive is that he's now an absolutely brilliant 4-year-old who's lovely to be with and sleeps through the night! Hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel but I would never contemplate having another because the first three years were such hell

sksk Sat 06-Dec-14 13:18:47

ImogenQuy, it is interesting you say that because I often doubt I'd be able to go through this again but I don't want DS to be an only child. It will be at least another 2-2.5 years before we consider trying. I had a 4th degree tear last time so looking at an ELCS which does not fill me with joy either!

sososotired Sat 06-Dec-14 20:46:43

I'm so glad I saw this post!! My DS is 15 months and has never slept through the night, I've tried everything sleep training, sleeping in his room on the floor nothing works, we co sleep from about 11 but he still wakes 3/4 times after that! He only gets 1 bottle a night so he doesn't feed to sleep but just can't seem to settle!

I can't bear the thought of another just because this one won't let me sleep

Tvseemstobemyhobby Sat 06-Dec-14 20:53:05

DD1 woke every 90 minutes till 18 months and even after that still woke 2 or 3 times a night and was up at 5.15 on the dot till nearly 3 years old. she is now 4.5 and sleeps like a dream....... It gets there eventually.

DD2 takes about 68 zillion years to go to sleep every bloody night, a huge battle to get her to go to bed/sleep and wakes about 3 times a night, I co sleep part of the night (DH then goes in the spare room) so that we at least get some sleep/comfort. She is 2.1. It will get better for sure! I am looking forward to her taking after DD1. I will probably leave home if she doesn't!!!

OneMoreIncy Sun 07-Dec-14 11:12:57

Another one here! My 11 month DS still wakes every 2 hours at night..and after about 11pm will only sleep if snuggled into my armpit! Will nap during the day for about 20 minutes in his cot (on a good day) but 1 hour plus if I hold him. Also dislikes car seat and buggy and does not fall asleep in them. Loves the sling but he is getting quite heavy these days. He looks so tired all the time sad
Loves to be held - all day and night would be his dream, preferably by me but DH will do for brief interludes. If anyone else tries to have a hold he screams and sobs even close family and friends who he sees lots!
Although he has always been pretty intense I can see small improvements all the time and he really is very affectionate and sweet. Just wish he didn't feel the need to remind me of this quite so frequently through the night hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now