Talk

Advanced search

20 week old will only nap on me

(10 Posts)
Eminybob Tue 02-Dec-14 08:59:35

Does anyone have any tips on getting DS to nap in his cot during the day?

He will only fall asleep on me, either being rocked or fed to sleep (he's EBF), and if I try to put him down in the cot he's wide awake instantly. Very rarely he may stay asleep for a short time. In general he'll only sleep for about half an hour at a time and gets tired and grumpy roughly every 2 hours.

It's getting frustrating as I can't get anything done, he's quite demanding when awake, he wants pretty much constant attention, and will only play on his own on the mat/gym etc for short amounts of time.

I've tried leaving him in the cot after I've put him down but after a while he'll start crying and won't settle himself, so I pick him up, and then he seems wide awake again, but gets grumpy and tired a short while after.

He's fine at night, can self settle, only wakes once for a feed and never cries.

When he was tiny it was never a problem to have him sleeping on me during the day, but I'm getting to the point now where I need to be putting him down properly for naps and just don't know how to start.

TheOriginalWinkly Tue 02-Dec-14 09:03:45

Haven't the faintest idea, DD is the same (though she'll sleep in the sling if we're out) and I can only sit on my arse watching Greys Anatomy for so long... Hopefully someone who knows will come along soon.

Eminybob Tue 02-Dec-14 09:07:25

Haha winkly yes I'm getting through box sets at a rate of knots.

DS will also sleep in the car or pram so like you being out and about is not a problem.

VioletWillow Tue 02-Dec-14 11:41:14

I'm in the same boat, DD is 23 weeks and only snoozes on me... I have tried the warm surfaces, everything, nothing works, she springs awake. She will drop off lying down upstairs on the bed having a feed and then I can sneak off and leave her... but that's it. For me as she now has 3 short sleeps at the most I'm claiming it as my tea and MN time, she happily sits in her bumbo watching me cook or wash up etc when she's awake. I do need to try and get her used to being put down before she goes to nursery I suppose...
So no advice from me. You're not alone smile

DuelingFanjo Tue 02-Dec-14 11:43:59

I could never get my son in the cot, so I just let him sleep on the big double bed surrounded by cushions. We did have a video monitor though. I think at about 20 weeks he started napping for an hour or two at a time but it did involve lots of getting him to sleep on me then gently rolling him onto the bed on my arm, then sneaking my arm out and leaving the room then going back and starting the whole process again until he was able to feel secure.

We also used to lean a cushion or a soft toy against him as I think he thought it was a hand.

butterfly86 Tue 02-Dec-14 11:59:05

Exactly the same her I could have written your post! If I hold dd long enough sometimes I can lay her on the couch surrounded by cushions but as she's started to roll its not ideal and I cant get on with anything as I have to keep an eye on her. I really need to start putting her in the cot and persevering but Im too lazy

Babybaby1982 Tue 02-Dec-14 11:59:59

I just came on here to post exactly the same problem, my LO is also 20 weeks and I've never been able to put him down for naps. He rarely even naps in the pram either, I have to cuddle him with a dummy. It's not a fight but like you all I'd love to be able to put him down. He also self settles himself at night but just doesn't seem to get drowsey in the day unless cuddled.

I've just popped him in his cot with his dummy and white noise to see what happens - he's currently lying there looking at his hands, chatting away to himself! He doesn't get upset, he just doesn't go to sleep!

Eminybob Tue 02-Dec-14 16:27:22

Thanks for the replies it's good to know that I'm not alone!

I guess it's quite normal and hopefully they will grow out of it naturally.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Tue 02-Dec-14 16:29:02

My sil had a snoozy head (or perhaps sleepy head) from john lewis and swore by it for daytime naps.

I think it makes the baby feel a bit cuddled

PamDooveOrangeJoof Tue 02-Dec-14 16:30:36

I wish I had known about them. I used to put my little boy in a swaddle pod. Pre warm the Moses with a warm hot bottle and wrap a t shirt I had been wearing round the mattress.
The use a Ewan the dream sheep. Ig worked eventually!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now