Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

sleeping on tummy

(11 Posts)
cookielove Mon 01-Dec-14 16:56:35

Is there any parents out there who put their babies down to sleep on their tummies? Ds is refusing to sleep on his back and now sleeps on his tummy but he is only 16 weeks old, he can almost roll and is able to lift his head and shoulders up. We have a breathing monitor as well.

I suppose I am just wondering if anyone else has resorted to tummy sleep.

Minithemoocher Mon 01-Dec-14 18:57:44

My dd has slept on her tummy since she was a few weeks old (now 3 months). She won't sleep any other way!

cookielove Mon 01-Dec-14 19:08:36

Does it worry you mini?

Minithemoocher Mon 01-Dec-14 19:30:18

I know it's against the current guidelines so wouldn't recommend it, but it's the only thing that worked for us. The first few times I checked on her every 5 minutes as I was so worried, but I worry a lot less now. Babies don't read the guidelines. If they won't sleep on their back then they won't sleep on their back!

playftseforme Mon 01-Dec-14 19:33:07

My DTs would only sleep on their tummies. Not recommending it to anyone though cos against current advice.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Mon 01-Dec-14 19:36:17

My dd sleeps on her tummy but I must say I didn't put her on her tummy to sleep until she could roll by herself.

addictedtosugar Mon 01-Dec-14 19:51:19

We put DS1 to sleep on his tummy. It is against the SIDS guidelines, but we looked at the risk factors (born at 40 wks, no-one smokes, new mattress etc), and decided the risk of my lack of sleep and trying to function were greater than the risk of SIDS (I was literally cluster feeding til about 10, and then he slept on DH (who played 101 computer games), til about 1am, and then was up every 40 mins for a 40 min feed.
Tummy sleeping stretched that to about a 90min sleep, followed by a 40 min feed.

wakeywakeyteaandcakey Mon 01-Dec-14 19:53:08

My dd slept on her tummy from the say she was born. She wouldn't sleep any other way. Didn't bother me. I'm a firm believer that if something's going to happen then it's going to happen. Two members of our family were cot deaths and both on their backs.

Windywenceslas Tue 02-Dec-14 23:26:51

It was the only way DD1 would sleep. I would never recommend it, but we were desperate and it came down to a choice between that or letting her sleep on one of our chests in our bed. Weighing up the options available we decided front sleeping in a Moses basket was safest.

cookielove Wed 03-Dec-14 17:30:22

Thank you for your replies.

I keep thinking to that it's safer in a bed then on my chest!

CobbOnn Wed 10-Dec-14 20:40:10

We discovered DS was a belly sleeppper ehen he was big enough to roll over. Next time I'm going to try it a lot earlier- as soon as they can lift their head. Might save us months of uncomfortable, horrendously broken sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now