Talk

Advanced search

Getting baby to stay asleep

(14 Posts)
BabyHaribo Fri 28-Nov-14 04:53:07

DD is 4 months. Overnight she will generally feed once between 7-7 maybe about 2ish so is doing brilliantly BUT....

In between times she doesn't stay asleep. She wakes constantly and needs resettling meaning I'm not getting much sleep at all.

Best way of getting her back to sleep seems to be popping her in bed with me but I'm really not keen on doing this as I then don't sleep properly.

Any words of wisdom other than this too shall pass?

Heatherbell1978 Fri 28-Nov-14 17:16:17

Watching....DS1 is 14 weeks and he generally wakes every 3/4 hours through the night. As he's a good weight, I've started just feeding him once (about 1.30am) but I'm waking to settle him a lot although he settles quite easily. I've not had more than 4 hours sleep since his birth and I'm so tired now......

ElphabaTheGreen Sat 29-Nov-14 20:19:19

Have you tried feeding her more often in the night? Maybe she's waking frequently because she's hungry. One feed a night for a four month old doesn't sound like much at all to me, but then both of mine fed/feed every one to two hours at four months.

Mummyamy123 Sat 29-Nov-14 20:52:19

Is she getting herself to sleep on her own or are you feeding her back to sleep? Or rocking her? If so she will need this to get back to sleep every time she wakes/comes into a light sleep.
Sending hugs! It doesn't last forever xxxx

Iammrsbeckham Thu 04-Dec-14 01:37:40

I am currently experiencing the same thing. I try to feed him more often but he doesn't want it. I have been trying to resettle him for 2.5 hours at the moment. Everything I put him down he wakes up. I'm losing it to be honest. I am so tired. This has been going on for weeks. Am eagerly watching for any advice!

BigPigLittlePig Thu 04-Dec-14 14:48:37

Honestly? Do whatever you need to so get the most sleep for the most people. Sometimes for us, even now (dd, aka worst sleeper ever, is 2yo), that meant camping on a mattress on her bedroom floor. I knew she was safe and couldn't roll off, dh didn't worry about rolling over and squishing her, and she knew i was close by and slept better. I didn't sleep perfectly, but it was better than if she were in my bed as some of the worries had been eliminated.

It will pass. And then you'll be looking forward to when they are poorly or have bad dreams so you can have sleepy cuddles grin

appletree100 Mon 08-Dec-14 09:53:40

having the same problem. ... my nearly 5 month old used to only wake once... now its 4 to 5 times. i have been told that their metabolisms at this age (from 4 months) and are gaining weight well.. means they do not really need these night feeds. .. so have decided to go tough and stop them tonight. considering some sleep training, almost too exhausted to try tho. going to try the reassurance method see what happens .... scared ; )

how do you all feel about sleep training?

BigPigLittlePig Mon 08-Dec-14 09:57:58

Apple I had been told the opposite - that at 4-5 months they have a period of accelerated growth and sleep regression, so probably not the time to sleep train. I know many RL mum friends did try at this age to sleep train, I personally waited til dd was 7 months, when she felt ready, and we had minimal tears (1 night only). I think the advice is that 4 or 5 months is too early for CC too, iric.

I do recall feeling slightly desperate at 4m though - I had no concept of how tired it was possible to be!

LucyB1 Mon 08-Dec-14 22:27:46

Watching this with interest as experience the same. It's all started particularly early tonight. Been trying to get her back to sleep for about half an hour already. confused

munchkinmaster Tue 09-Dec-14 04:07:44

I think you need to resettle in the cot. Otherwise you are just training your bAby to want cuddled to sleep every time they wake. I had this and pat and rubbed in the cot for a few nights. Now wakes only to feed every 4 hours like clockwork. How does she know? Has she got a fecking stopwatch in there

splendide Tue 09-Dec-14 08:48:20

When did you do that munchkin? How old?

GoldfishSpy Tue 09-Dec-14 08:54:27

DS is 4 months and sleeps in a bedside cot.

He is ebf and will go 7pm - 6am if his arms are swaddled.

If not, he generally wakes himself up a couple of times flinging his arms about.

munchkinmaster Tue 09-Dec-14 17:44:06

13 weeks. Much easier than with dd1 who I waited till 5 1/2 months to be more careful with.

splendide Tue 09-Dec-14 17:56:41

Thanks munchkin interesting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now