Talk

Advanced search

5 week old - sleep routine - crying from 11pm to 3am

(12 Posts)
pebble82 Thu 27-Nov-14 21:08:46

I feed my DD around 8-9pm and put her back in the carrycot (where she sleeps for most of the day. I do this to avoid having to move the Moses basket from bedroom to lounge every morning and night.) As with most times during the day she goes off to sleep fine. However at 11-midnight I'll feed her again but this time put her down in her Moses basket in our bedroom. It's after this feed that she just cries and will not calm down for hours (3-4am!). I've noticed on a few Mumsnet threads that people talk about putting their tiny babies down for the night at about 7pm. I don't understand this concept as my baby simply works on a constant loop. There is no day and night for her.

So basically my questions are:

How do you start a bedtime routine of putting baby down for the night? I thought babies had to sleep in the same room as you at all times until 6 months because of SIDS advice. Is it ok to let them be on their own in the evening with a baby monitor? I don't really want to go to bed at 7pm as I need time with DP.

Should I be keeping her awake in the day so she's tired and won't cry after 11pm feed? I thought babies under 3 months need loads of sleep to grow so it's best not to do this.

I'm so confused! Any advice welcome.

APocketfulOfSpondulix Thu 27-Nov-14 21:12:08

Five weeks is still so tiny, I would just follow your baby's lead for now. I don't know anyone who put their tiny baby on a 7-7 routine.

MissBeans Thu 27-Nov-14 21:15:58

Perhaps she needs extra winding or is hungry? Both my ebf babies fed throughout the night for the first couple of months. If your baby is bottle fed, perhaps try upping formula by an oz.

Heels99 Thu 27-Nov-14 21:20:08

Oh goodness I remember this well! It is exhausting! I had twins and there were a couple of nights we didn't even get into bed let alone go to sleep. It is a bit early yet for a routine so you just have to go with it. When people say putting to bed at seven, they usually mean in the Moses basket or whatever and it doesn't mean they stay there till 7am! On the good news front, one of mine slept through the night at four months and every night after that, done and dusted, other took longer. It does get easier! Good luck.

youmakemydreams Thu 27-Nov-14 21:28:40

It could be that the Moses basket feels a little unfamiliar as she is used to sleeping in the carrycot during the day.
It was for this very reason when I had my second dc I bought a different pram with a carrycot suitable for overnight sleeping and used that full time instead of a Moses basket.
Dd slept the day in a Moses basket but a crib type thing at night and when I had tried everything else I took the Moses basket upstairs and she slept much better in that.
5 weeks is still very tiny and new and I really doubt anyone is putting a baby that age in their bed 7-7 they would be the exception not the rule.

Is the carrycot you have suitable for overnight sleep? It may be worth trying that if it is. Can't promise a miracle but it may work.

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Thu 27-Nov-14 21:30:46

Why not go up to bed with her at 9? Doesn't have to be every evening but might help you feel more able to cope at night.

There is an organisation called infant Sleep Information Source based in Durham which is a brilliant resource for learning about what is "normal" for babies and sleep. isisonline.org.uk. My link doesn't seem to work when I preview my message for some reason - hope it works for you.

pebble82 Thu 27-Nov-14 21:31:37

I'm coping surprisingly well. I was just a little concerned I should be introducing a bedtime routine of putting her in her Moses basket in the bedroom. I just find it odd that it's always the late night stint that she's so unhappy.

She's a breast fed baby so maybe I should try offering extra boobage before 11 to get her more milk drunk.

pebble82 Thu 27-Nov-14 21:38:53

Sorry crossed posts

I'll take a look at the link, thanks.

I wondered that too about the Moses basket. My carrycot is the M&P Sola. The mattress didn't seem great to me as it would bend/sink in the middle so I've put an extra mattress under it. It now keeps its shape better. They're the same as the Moses basket mattress that it came with so think it's probably ok.

Gavlarrr Thu 27-Nov-14 21:43:05

She's 5 weeks! Enjoy cuddles and letting her sleep on you. Sleep with something clod to you and put it in her Moses basket so she can smell you. At that age they just want to feel close to you. But don't worry about routine, sleep times etc, enjoy your cuddly newborn!

dorasee Thu 27-Nov-14 21:53:38

Have you thought about buying a co-sleeping cot? Go onto the NCT website and have a look. I did this with my third. Moses baskets never worked for me.
Also I have always had to put my 3 on their tummies/side to sleep, turning over onto the back once asleep. There's no quick solution but there are ways of making these long nights a bit easier.flowers

vichill Thu 27-Nov-14 21:57:47

Do you think this could be her cluster feed shift? I've heard of really unsociable cluster feeders. My own dd was 7-11 And nothing but constant feeding would settle her. I don't think there's much you can do about it with such a young baby other than just indulging her. It is meant to stimulate the boobs to make enough for the next day so letting her nurse is quite necessary. I second going to bed at 9 and maybe consider feeding on your side (safely ofcourse) at the time she is grizzly in the night.

pebble82 Thu 27-Nov-14 22:18:28

Could be her cluster feeding time. I tend to resort to shoving a breast in her mouth to make her quiet. She doesn't show hunger signs though, it's just all I can resort to that keeps her quiet. Even if it's just 5 minutes.

When she wakes at 6am I can easily put her down in the Moses basket. So maybe it doesn't bother her too much. Who knows!

I'd like to avoid co-sleeping as DP is a smoker and drinks (not loads but might mean a deeper sleep after a large glass of wine).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now