Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is sleep training the answer or is there an alternative

(16 Posts)
Rhymerocket Sat 22-Nov-14 15:40:09

My 21/2 year old is a bloody nightmare. He wakes approx 6-10 times a night and we usually give in around 3 and bring him to my room. He has good bedtime routine. Shares a room with his 4. Year old brother. I sit on chair in room away fr them both thrill they go to sleep. He sleeps about 1-2 hrs them begins wakening he's killing me. Help.

fishnettights Sat 22-Nov-14 19:29:21

Has he always been like this? Has he been checked for sleep apnea? It her problems?

Does he wake for milk?

Discobugsacha Sat 22-Nov-14 19:32:11

Will he sleep if he's in your bed?

ChazzerChaser Sat 22-Nov-14 19:34:45

I'd recommend pantley's no cry sleep solution. Good alternative to training. More of a figure out what's wrong and how to fix it approach

cuppateaandtoast Sat 22-Nov-14 19:35:13

What do you do if he wakes up? I cant see how sleep training can be much different to what you are doing? Do you just check on him and put hin back in bed yhen give in at 3am?

Rhymerocket Sat 22-Nov-14 19:38:48

Yes Cuppa that's exactly what I do. Just put him back in bed and repeat until around 3 I loose the will and bring him in to me.

Rhymerocket Sat 22-Nov-14 19:40:26

He isn't waking for milk we took that off him about 6 months ago. HehS a cup with weak juice on his bedside table but he rarely finishes it. I wonder is he just not bored from the day.

PotteringAlong Sat 22-Nov-14 19:41:10

Does he sleep in your bed? In which case why put yourself through it? If you know you're going to do it anyway just being him on when he wakes and you'll all get more sleep!

cuppateaandtoast Sat 22-Nov-14 19:51:10

Well if hr isnt waking for milk and does know how to resettle hinself then you either have to carry in what you are doing and not give in and his sleep should hopefully improve. I suppose that would be sleep training.
Or you do as pottering says and just bring him into your bed the first time he wakes and perhaps everyone gets more sleep that way. This is what i.do with my 2.5 yo. Although not saying its the best solution for everyone. I am just too lazy for sleep training

Rhymerocket Sat 22-Nov-14 20:03:43

What size of bed do u all have. He comes in my bad and still wakes moaning but goes off again quickly but is still wake a his father and I up. I'm soooo tired with it. hmm

hollie84 Sat 22-Nov-14 21:43:19

Have you tried not going in to him when he wakes?

Rhymerocket Sun 23-Nov-14 10:55:34

I hadn't Hollie because I think he would waken the street! He's determined wee bugger

PotteringAlong Sun 23-Nov-14 11:05:06

Put him in your bed and either you or DH sleep in his bed?

cuppateaandtoast Sun 23-Nov-14 11:21:25

My 2.6 yo has a single bed and i get in beside him and leave dh with his own bed. I would feel bad disturbing dh when he has work to get up for at 6

catkind Sun 23-Nov-14 11:29:51

Even weak juice could be having an effect (and on his teeth), some children are quite sensitive to it, maybe try water.
Does he nap? My 2.9 doesn't generally, but sneaked a nap in the car yesterday and didn't sleep nearly as well at night.
Are you going all out to tire him out in the day? Lots of outdoors time or swimming/soft play etc seems to help with DD.
What does he wear in bed? What sort of covers? Could he be getting hot or cold? Do you have heating on or off? Any noises or lights that could be waking him? Have you tried talking to him about staying in bed when it's night time? Some friends have had success with something like a gro clock so they know it's still sleeping time.

PotteringAlong Sun 23-Nov-14 17:12:27

Gro clocks currently half price on amazon Black Friday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now