Talk

Advanced search

Cuddling 18 MO to sleep - is this bad?

(10 Posts)
widdle Fri 21-Nov-14 16:50:54

After months of rubbish sleep my DS is finally sleeping through!! (a lot of the time, well 50% anyway)

My little niggle is this. At the moment I cuddle him to sleep then put him down when he is finally asleep. To be honest this is one of my favourite times of day - he is all snuggly and gives me little kisses and talks a bit then is asleep within 15 - 30 minutes.

Has anyone else done this and did their DC finally just go to sleep happily without them in the room? I really don't mind doing this but in practical terms I might have to start getting him to go to sleep on his own (thinking of TTC a second so what happens with a new baby etc).

The few times I have tried to leave the room before he is asleep has resulted in a lot of screaming. Just wondering if I am being a bit selfish about all the pre sleep cuddles. Should I be trying to get him to go to sleep on his own? Or not stress about it?

Thanks!

Rtfairy Fri 21-Nov-14 20:31:31

Would love to hear any replies you get as I currently do the same with my 1 year old DD. Sorry can't offer any advice but will be following your thread.

salopia Fri 21-Nov-14 20:38:10

Carry on, completely natural, did this with my second, very relaxed childhood ( didn't sleep through in his own bed until 8 though!! )

florentina1 Fri 21-Nov-14 20:43:58

Every child is different and every mum is different. It works, it makes you both happy so carry on.

Bonsoir Fri 21-Nov-14 20:50:01

It's fine as long as you don't go mad! The worst thing is to let babies scream.

Only1scoop Fri 21-Nov-14 20:51:53

I personally have never done it....it's whatever works for you although I'd worry it would be a hard ritual to break.

fflonkl Fri 21-Nov-14 21:36:47

I've done this with DD (20 months old), especially when she's a bit poorly. It hasn't become a habit or turned into a rod for my back so if it works for you both then why not.

I normally put DD in her cot awake and then we have a chat until she falls asleep; it's lovely especially as I work all day so it's nice to spend a bit of time with her.

plannedshock Fri 21-Nov-14 21:58:31

I do both, cuddle her to sleep and put her down awake, I just go with how she is that night, and she is fine with both. No rod for my back yet and she's 20mths. Do what works for you, there will come a day you wish you could cuddle her to sleep!!

Showy Fri 21-Nov-14 22:08:41

Did this with both. Seamless transition to settling in bed and lovely memories.

AliceInChains Fri 21-Nov-14 22:12:52

I did this with dd1 from about 14 months, after I stopped bfing her to sleep. can't remember how long it lasted, but at some point it just seemed natural to put her down while awake. I think I patted her to sleep for a while, then at some point I could just leave her to go to sleep. sorry, no real advice other than trust your instincts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now