Talk

Advanced search

Teething woes - what do you do?!

(5 Posts)
weelittlething Wed 19-Nov-14 20:12:05

Nearly 8mo has gone completely bonkers in the last week. She's been napping poorly (which is not out of the ordinary, really) but night-times have descended into complete chaos. She doesn't settle for more than about twenty minutes, and even when she manages to fall asleep she wakes up every two hours! She was -finally- sleeping through the night a couple of weeks ago.

We think she might be teething - drooling constantly and extremely clingy and whingy during the day. We've given her Calpol, teething gel AND teething powder, and she won't take more than a couple of ounces of milk before bed (which isn't normal for her). She's now crying on and off but won't be picked up (keeps trying to buck off), won't take a dummy and won't have more milk. Not really sure what to do! sad

Any advice on what you've done when baby's teething would be great.

EmmaLL25 Fri 21-Nov-14 20:05:46

We give baby ibuprofen too. Elevating their head can help relieve some pressure on gums too.

Otherwise I'm not sure what else to suggest. It's really hard. Our DS is horribly bothered by teething and will wake hourly, not settle again for hours. It's tough.

It will pass though when the damn tooth appears!

KahloSherman Fri 21-Nov-14 20:47:55

Second the baby ibuprofen - give it as well as Calpol when it's really bad. We keep some little muslin washcloths soaked in cold water then rolled up into a kind of cigar shape and frozen for DS to chomp on.

Can you co-sleep? Being near you can be reassuring for them when they're in pain and may mean more sleep for DD and possibly you too. Although I spent a good few hours last night wide awake with DS in our bed sound asleep, having a snoring contest with his dad hmm

I did read somewhere that the first four teeth are the worst and they kind of get used to it after that. Clinging onto that, two down...

beckiebee04 Mon 24-Nov-14 22:54:09

Nurofen works a treat for my little one and I always put bonjela on her bottle teet when giving the last bottle ... Also giving babys toes a rub and squeeze are teething pressure points x

MissHJ Mon 24-Nov-14 22:58:09

Sometimes you do have to ride it out. My son is 14 months old and is cutting a tooth at the side. He has been given calpol and teething powders but he is still sleeping bad and clingy. I just try to get on with it best I can and my oh takes over when he can. At the moment my son is calm but wide awake sitting with me in the living room. He will probably sleep as and when he can in the bed with me. He settles better there than his cot. Maybe give her something to chew on? My son likes the plastic weaning spoons when he is struggling. Poor little things with teething

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now