Talk

Advanced search

3 year old and 10 week year old, how do I get them both to bed on my own?

(7 Posts)
Firstbabypanic Wed 12-Nov-14 19:39:02

Help!! I'm on my own at bedtime and struggling with getting my kiddles to sleep. My 3 year old loves her baby brother but not when he cries or shares her bedtime stories which is our 'special time'. 10week year old was going to bed earlier but as he becomes more awake I'm really struggling to get him to sleep without stressing out 3 year old. It seems to take hours to get them both to sleep and me having a melt down!! Any ideas for a routine for two welcome! Zzzzzzzzzz

HonoraryOctonaut Wed 12-Nov-14 19:44:37

I have no idea blush my youngest are 3 and 1 and I still haven't cracked it.

Petallic Wed 12-Nov-14 19:46:23

I also had to do most bedtimes on my own and I found it was easier to make the newborn tag along at bedtime at first - bouncy chair at bath time, feed milk whilst I read stories to older DC (who was 1) And gradually my younger DC joined in more at bedtime and it became a joint bedtime routine. In the early days I also used to have somewhere safe for baby and occasionally just had to leave her to whinge for 5-10 minutes whilst I finished off bedtime upstairs as stressful as it was for me, in the long run it meant both DC were settled in bed quicker. It does get easier! I would keep putting your newborn to bed after your DD for the moment.

Petallic Wed 12-Nov-14 19:48:47

Do you have a special book/toy you could introduce for the new shared story/bedtime that your DS gives to your DD and try and build in another special-time activity (baking?) when DS is asleep? I didn't have to deal with the jealousy side as much as mine are only a year apart so others may be along with better advice soon!

Biscuitsneeded Wed 12-Nov-14 19:49:53

Definitely 3 year old first. Baby in bouncy chair with a toy, being more or less ignored while you read to DD! DD needs he routine and familiarity - DS has no idea it's bedtime and can stay up 20 mins longer if need be!

cheminotte Wed 12-Nov-14 19:50:10

We have that gap and I remember baby was mostly in arms or even being fed while ds1 was getting story. Can you find a special time during the day for a story just the two of you, eg while baby naps.

DurhamDurham Wed 12-Nov-14 19:52:07

When mine were about the same age and I had to put them bed myself if my dh was working late I used to start early...about 6ish and bath them both together. I'd then put my oldest my bed with a story while the baby lay on the bed or I fed her depending on if she was prepared to be patient and listen to the storygrin

Once the toddler was tucked up in bed I'd feed the baby a nice long feed until she fell asleep. Some evenings were better than others but you do fall into a routine. My two girls are grown up now and I so look back to those times with a smile and sense of satisfaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now