Talk

Advanced search

2 year old sleep. we have gone backwards

(11 Posts)
yougotafastcar Tue 11-Nov-14 04:50:40

So DS was a rubbish sleeper. From 4-6 months he woke 6/7 times a night. From 6 months 2 years he started the night in his own bed then would end up in mine when he woke up. This did not work for us but I didn't know what else to do.

At 2 years I did gradual withdrawal and FINALLY he started sleeping through from 7.30pm to 6ish am in his own bed.

Now its six months later. He wakes up between 3-4am every day for the past week. Just refuses to sleep "I've had enough of sleep now mummy" just asks to get in my bed. I'm going to cry. I'm 22 weeks pregnant. Terrified I will be getting up to them both in the night with no sleep. Please help.

yougotafastcar Tue 11-Nov-14 04:57:30

At the mo I am sitting in his room in the dark, he is on the bed shouting "ever ever ever!" As in "I'm not laying down ever again".

teacher54321 Tue 11-Nov-14 17:27:14

Is he napping still? Maybe time to be brutal and cut the nap?

SweetsForMySweet Tue 11-Nov-14 17:47:13

Cut the nap a little shorter first rather than totally stopping it completely. My lo is waking just for cuddles the last few weeks, will cry hysterically until I hold her then falls straight back to sleep. We never had this before, not sure what will sort it either. Could you put a small toddler bed next to your bed or make his bed time later.

TerrifiedMothertobe Tue 11-Nov-14 21:55:22

I totally don't agree with dropping the nap. We have had an early riser for last 18 months. And assuming he isn't sleeping 3 hours every day, it's probably more developmental than sleep related.

Is he in a bed yet? Or can you ignore him in his cot...?

yougotafastcar Wed 12-Nov-14 10:21:59

He is in a bed, but has a gate on his bedroom door otherwise he would be running round upstairs! He just comes to the gate and says "please let me out mummy, I want to lay down in your bed"

He has started to drop his nap, some days he will sleep, other days he wont. Makes no difference to whether he wakes up at night.

He went to bed at half 9 last night and woke at 6 this morning. But surely half 9 is too late for a 2 year old?! We can't do that every night, I'd be pulling my hair out!

SweetsForMySweet Wed 12-Nov-14 11:26:54

How long is his day time nap? We missed one nap the other week because I had an antenatal appointment and it took about 4 days to get over it, the crankiness was unbelievable. If he want to sleep in your bed rather than his own, could he be playing up to get what he wants?. Would a gro clock work? saw them online last night, might be worth it.

inconceivableme Wed 12-Nov-14 21:35:11

I've posted upthread about my non-sleeping 2 year old. No advice, just sympathy. I'm not pregnant (miscarried last week unfortunately) but even so, I'm beyond exhausted and fed up by the neverending bedtime / night time antics. Anyone want to look at my thread too? Any input appreciated!!! smile

yougotafastcar Wed 12-Nov-14 21:58:25

sweets definitely playing up to get what he wants! Always arguing about everything lately. He has a gro clock, understands the gro clock but doesn't care about it. Day time nap could be 2 hours if I let it, but I don't.. often!

inconceivable so sorry to hear that. Hope you are feeling ok flowers I'll have a look for your thread, not that I'll be much help obviously!

inconceivableme Wed 12-Nov-14 22:09:55

Thanks yougota.
We have the same with daytime naps. He'll nap anytime, any place when the time comes and goes out cold. I can take off a coat etc without waking him and before he moved to
pants, even did nappy changes many times without rousing him. He'll sleep for 1-2 hours if I let him. Have v recently been limiting naps a bit but it's made no difference to night time. And yesterday and today he's not napped at all and has been on the go constantly. He fell asleep at 945pm this evening after needing DH to lie on the bed with him for ages. sad

inconceivableme Fri 14-Nov-14 20:13:15

Mine's just climbed out of his cot by himself for the first time. I reckon we're completely screwed for sleep now....!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now