Talk

Advanced search

How much/often do your 14 month olds eat

(17 Posts)
Livvylongpants Mon 10-Nov-14 06:42:37

And how well do they sleep.

DS having a bottle before bed and 2 during the night so am starting to think he is hungry and perhaps we arn't feeding him enough food?

He has breakfast around 6.30. Normally beans on toast/scrambled eggs/pancakes/toast and always a piece of fruit too

Bottle around 10

Lunch at 12 - pasta or sand which etc with fruit and crackers

Maybe a biscuit or yoghurt inbetween lunch and dinner

5pm dinner - whatever we are having, so currently stew/roast dinner/pie and mash etc

writing it down I think he needs more snacks. I can't really remember how much DD used to eat, she's 3 now bit ate like a horse from 6 months so she probably are twice that

Livvylongpants Mon 10-Nov-14 07:12:31

Also we've done BLW so anything DS can't eat by himself is out the question - yoghurts/soup/cereal

rootypig Mon 10-Nov-14 07:17:34

It is perfectly possible and indeed likely that he is drinking two bottles in the night out of habit and a sleep association, rather than hunger.

DD was drinking two 6oz feeds at 3 hour intervals like clockwork at almost a year, until I night weaned her over the course of a month. Her food intake didn't increase appreciably; it was habit.

Does he wake at predictable times? that would indicate that he's waking at the end of the sleep cycle and needs to feed to get himself back to sleep.

His food intake sounds fine, though they vary so much at that age. DD was BLW - spoon refuser - but still had yoghurt. She'd have a go with a spoon and I'd use another to poke some in.

Presumably he has milk before bed too?

rootypig Mon 10-Nov-14 07:19:17

Oh sorry just seen that you said bottle before bed. Two bottles a day (cow's milk?) at this age is plenty enough.

You need to night wean - he will start sleeping through - and if he needs to, he'll up his food intake in the day naturally.

Mrsgrumble Mon 10-Nov-14 07:32:50

He has a bottle before he goes to bed and sleeps from 8 until 7 am

All bran first think, milk

Potatoes, veg, cheese for lunch - beaker of water
Yoghurt

Something light for tea like a pancake, boiled egg
Kiwi, plum

Sleeps for one and a half hours in the day

14 months

Artandco Mon 10-Nov-14 07:33:36

Slightly older now but at 14 months roughly:
8am milk
9am breakfast
1pm lunch
5pm milk
7pm dinner

Would then sleep 9pm-8am.

I would try stopping all milk at night and move dinner a bit later

Livvylongpants Mon 10-Nov-14 07:34:26

They are big bottles too. Probably 10oz! He does seen to eat what I give him so I will try to offer some
More.

The timings arn't all that predictable and I do wonder if it is sleep association, he's never taken to a dummy so has nothing else to suck.

He never took to weaning like DD and it's only the past month or 2 he has eaten reliably, he's very tall and slim.

Forgive me for being dumb but how would I go about night weaning? Is it a case of simply not giving it to him? Or offering water instead?

Dc3 is due in 8 weeks so would love for him to be sleeping better by then as I'm knackered!

Livvylongpants Mon 10-Nov-14 07:36:23

I will try dinner a bit later. He goes to bed roughly 7 as sleeps till 6 though wakes 3-5 times a night consuming roughly 17oz of milk

zippyrainbowbrite Mon 10-Nov-14 07:45:42

DS is 15 months. He has:

7am ish BF on waking

8am ish breakfast - during the week this is often porridge made with 1/3 cup oats and a couple of dried apricots. Sometimes dry cereal, yoghurt or fruit and toast (usually with jam or peanut butter).

10.30-11snack - when we're at a toddler group he tends to get a biscuit, if we're out he has an Ella's kitchen snack (biscuit, cereal bad or the puff type things), raisins or banana, or sometimes some of my cake! If we're just at home then he wouldn't have a snack (unless it's the weekend and Daddy's for the biscuit tin out!).

12 ish lunch - a sandwich made from1 slice of bread (hummus, PB, or cheese usually as the filling). A combo of whatever veg/ fruit is around, so maybe 2 cherry toms cut into halves and a plum cut into chunks.

12.45 ish 120-150mls blue cows milk before his nap

3-3.30ish either banana or biscuit on waking from nap (depending on what he's had earlier)

5.30ish tea -usually some varient of what we're having - this week cauliflower cheese and bolognese pasta bake/ chicken and stuffing pasties and carrot and swede mash and sweetcorn/ baked potatoes with slow cooker honey lentils and cheese / scrbled eggs and sausages on toast with salad/ pizza and salad / mackerel fillets, potato wedges and sweetcorn / white bean, roast garlic and parsnip soup with rosmary rolls.

Sometimes pudding after tea e.g occasional cake, more often yoghurt or fruit, but not every day

6.45ish 180-200mls blue cows milk before bed.

I would say he usually has quite a big portion at tea time, but if he's not hungry he won't eat it all and I don't worry now as he seems to control his own appetite quite well. We did BLW with him too, so things like porridge/yoghurt I tend to load up he spoon and then hand it to him, although he's now starting to want to dip it too!

He loves soup - he'll have a bit on a spoon, but then loves chunks of bread dipped in it!

He doesn't wake a lot In the night now, but occasionally if unwell or sick then he has an extra BF to settle him back down.

HTH!

zippyrainbowbrite Mon 10-Nov-14 07:46:07

Phew, that was long, sorry!

EmilyGilmore Mon 10-Nov-14 07:49:49

It strikes me that is a LOT of food. I also have a 14 month old. She barely eats anything. She is breastfed and has just started going through the night. I let it happen naturally - it's exhausting though I'll admit!

Well done in getting all that food into your baby!

Livvylongpants Mon 10-Nov-14 08:01:23

Although all that food is offered he usually doesn't eat it all . This morning he had half a piece of toast and a chunk of banana all the rest went on the floor.

Especially at lunch he doesn't seem to have much. It's normally a half sandwich with half a piece of fruit.

I just think the volume of milk at night seems an awful lot as he has 1 10oz bottle before his nap mid morning (he doesn't nap in the afternoon) and 1 10oz bottle before bed (both blue cows milk).

He is very skinny but think hope that's justs his dads genes in him. As I said my 3 year old aet everything she could see from 6 months and at a year already only had 1 silly cup of milk at bedtime and even then didn't often drink it. So have no experience of this lol DD slept through reliably from 6 months

rootypig Mon 10-Nov-14 15:53:17

DD was having two 6 oz bottles and I decided to night wean gently because it was so much. Basically, instead of giving her the bottle and letting her drink the lot as I had been, I would take it out of her mouth every 2oz. Sometimes she would cry in which case I would give it back right away (I decided this in advance, which made it much easier). Sometimes she would turn over and go to sleep with less than usual - which was what I was aiming for. If that was the case, I'd try to build on it the next night by setting that as a limit in my mind (and as the days went by, was making smaller bottles). Make sense?

Think it took about a month to bring the volumes down to almost nothing this way - she would take a mouthful or two then sleep. At that point I offered water and she didn't like that at all, and cried. We stayed in the room with her / held her, talked to her gently about going to sleep. After three nights of her struggling to get back to sleep and crying for periods of maybe 10 to 20 minutes, she started sleeping through.

It was a long process! but I was absolutely sure it was a sleep association. No 14 mo needs 20oz milk in the night. It will be disrupting his sleep in several ways - he relies on it to drift back off when he wakes naturally. It will keep his digestive system going to he finds it harder to settle into deep sleep. And it must make his nappies very wet.

Don't think that because he cries hard when he wakes that he's starving. It is more likely that he's crying because he wants desperately to go back to sleep and can't.

Up his dairy during the day to compensate if you're concerned about weight (though I think it sounds ad though he's eating a normal amount), a yoghurt every day, more cheese (cubes with crackers and grapes for a morning snack), peanut butter.

Livvylongpants Tue 11-Nov-14 18:13:01

Last night was better. He only woke at 3 and had 8oz then slept till 6! He was shattered though.

Maybe he knows I've been moaning about him. I have him cheese cubes for a snack as I do worry about his weight as he's so slim. However DSS is 14 and skinny as a take yet eats like a horse so he's obviously got his dads genes. I will see how tonight goes

TerrifiedMothertobe Tue 11-Nov-14 21:48:49

All babies are different. But I f I were you I would go for tough love. Knock out 10am bottle and replace with water and a snack and try Nd cut out night feeds - one per week.

Tough I know.

Our ds2 almost 12 months is:

7am bottle- 5 oz
8am breakfast - peanut butter on toast + banana (or cereal and fruit)
10am snack and drink
12- lunch, pasta and bolognaise and a yogurt (blw so he gets on with it)
1pm - 3ox milk (giving this up)
3pm drink and snack (fruit or rice cakes)
5pm dinner- sausage and mash with veg and gravy or stew etc fruit / rice pud
6pm bed time snack- malt loaf
630- 6oz bottle

He eats more than our 3 year old now, but both were incredibly hungry. So,entires he has 2x portions, I dread my food bill in years to come.

Don't under estimate how hungry they get, it's a period of immense growth! Little monkeys..!

rootypig Tue 11-Nov-14 23:12:35

Livvy DD (2yo) eats like a hog and is 7th centile for weight (12th for height). She has 7oz cow's milk on waking and another 7oz before bed, and it doesn't seem to interfere with her appetite at all. I try to get high calorie foods into her because she's a slim little thing but that's just the way she's built.

I would keep two bottles during the day, concentrate on high calorie foods at meals (they need plenty of healthy fat), and try to cut out the night feeds.

Good luck!

Livvylongpants Wed 12-Nov-14 20:17:08

Thanks, I replaced his bottles last night for warm water. He only drank the one throughout the night after he realised it wasn't milk and it didn't seem to affect him today (he was at cm)

Very full nappy this morning though! After he woke the first time I left the bottle in the corner of his bed and when he woke he grabbed it himself so didn't actually have to get up (his bed is right next to me)

Definatly a move forward but am trying to get more food into him. He just eats like a sparrow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now