Talk

Advanced search

Anyone managed naps around a school run and pre-school run?

(12 Posts)
PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sat 08-Nov-14 18:45:04

DS is six months and a bit of a rubbish sleeper. Sometimes at night we'll get a 3 hour stretch (or sometimes 2 x 3 hours) out of him, but other nights he wakes every hour, or on a really bad night every 45 minutes. When he's having a rubbish night, we co-sleep to make it manageable. He's EBF and just getting the hang of some solids.

I have a school run (8.30-9.30) a pre-school pick up (12-12.30) and a school run (2.45-3.30) to work around. They can't really be done on foot in poor weather as the shortest would be an hour round trip, so we are in and out of the car.

What inevitably happens is that DS falls asleep in the car, has a cat nap (20-30 mins) and then isn't properly rested or tired. He doesn't transfer well from the car seat (though I'm open to tips). I also only have the morning window when I could spend time 'encouraging' a nap, as in the afternoon I also have DD2 to look after.

Is there some obvious suggestion I am missing to help him sleep more, or am I just up against a brick wall? As he's getting older, short naps are making him grouchy.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Mon 10-Nov-14 13:43:50

Guess not! Bump?

SeptemberBabies Mon 10-Nov-14 13:52:05

If it was me I would be inclined to walk on the pre-school pick up, even if bad weather and even if it is an hour round trip.

That would mean that baby has a good hour walk in the pushchair to drop off and he can be kept in the pushchair when you get home, so that you can spend some time with just you and DD2.

Fortunately for me DC3 started school in September, just as DC4 was born. So I am down to just two school runs per day, rather than three.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Mon 10-Nov-14 14:01:13

I have thought about that. It is difficult though with a tired three year old who wants her lunch (and can't eat on a buggy board) and will go mental in driving rain. You only get 5 minutes when the buggy stops, so she would get no extra time with me as a pay off.

Thanks for answering. smile

Iggly Mon 10-Nov-14 14:04:08

Double buggy? A decent second hand one with a good rain cover. I likes the Phil and Ted's. Dd was the youngest so napped on the morning and preschool run with a snooze shade to block out the view. I could park her in the hallway, leave her to nap and get ds out no probs.

SeptemberBabies Mon 10-Nov-14 14:05:05

Could you get a second hand double buggy? Car Boots or charity shops tend to sell these cheaper than ebay.

It might be that your year old drops off for a bit on the walk home if in a pushchair.

Iggly Mon 10-Nov-14 14:05:23

Getting dd to stay asleep in the pushchair was a matter of timing really. Plus the Phil and teds was very snug and comfy. She still prefers it now, aged 2!

SeptemberBabies Mon 10-Nov-14 14:05:45

* your 3 year old

SeptemberBabies Mon 10-Nov-14 14:06:31

great minds think alike Iggly

Iggly Mon 10-Nov-14 14:08:53

grin

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Mon 10-Nov-14 14:10:37

It might have to be a double if I go that route mightn't it? I thought I'd escaped needing one...

I am wondering at what age DS might be old enough to stay awake in the morning pre-school run too. DD1 was about 8 months when she pushed her nap back to about 10am, when she'd sleep for 1.5 hours, with an afternoon nap too (whereas DD2 did a classic after lunch nap, as by that time DD1 was going down after lunch so I had time to settle her). If he'd do that I'd be ever so happy. Guess it could take a while with the lulling effect of car/buggy though.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Mon 10-Nov-14 14:11:18

Thank you for your help too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now