Talk

Advanced search

What do your babies wear to bed?

(30 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Fri 07-Nov-14 17:25:37

I use a 2.5 tog sleeping bag for my 7m/o DS and am constantly fretting over what to actually dress him in for bed. I know there is the chart to indicate what a baby should wear but for some reason I find it confusing.

Last night for example my room was 18 degrees and the chart said to use a long sleeved vest and a pyjama top. All I could think was, "what about his legs??!!"

I put him in his pyjama top and bottoms but no vest.

I have been told that babies should not have two layers if clothes on underneath the Gro-Bag but that doesn't match what the chart indicates.

Sometimes if it seems really chilly I put a vest on DS, a full body popper sleep suit and then his 2.5 tog bag.

I find myself worrying more now that the weather is getting colder.

It was so much easier in the summer when a vest and 1 tog Bag was all that was needed.

Rachie1986 Fri 07-Nov-14 17:37:48

ahhh I could have written this! Dd is 10 months old and last night went up to 2.5tog grobag with short sleevr vest and sleepsuit. it's more than they recommend but she always seems to like having more on and sleeps better.

MrsHerculePoirot Fri 07-Nov-14 17:43:03

I just follow the chart!

Their bodies produce heat within the sleeping bag so they don't need covered legs unless it goes beneath 18 I think. My understanding is babies are safer slightly colder than warmer as they would wake from cold but not over heating.

Writerwannabe83 Fri 07-Nov-14 18:01:03

That's what confuses me as over the last 3-4 nights DS has been waking up every 2-3 hours. Normally he would sleep at 7pm, wake at 1am for a feed and then sleep until 7am. I'm now up 3-4 times a night with him and wondered if it was because he was cold?

I was thinking of putting him in a vest and sleep suit tonight as well as his 2.5 tog but am wondering if it's too much?

IShallCallYouSquishy Fri 07-Nov-14 18:04:41

8.5 month old DS is in a 2.5tog grobag with a short sleeve vest and a sleepsuit. His room is 20c. He tends to always run a bit cool though and prefers to be slightly warmer.

RedRose27 Fri 07-Nov-14 18:06:56

We are having the same issue! Last night and night before, DD was in 2.5 sleeping bag, long sleeved vest and sleep suit, and we thought she was too hot! So we took of gro bag in the night. Back to just a sleep suit and 2.5 tog bag tonight, which is all she's been in for about 6 weeks (before that she was in 1 tog and sleep suit).
Even on Wednesday night when we had frost, her bedroom still only got down to 17 degrees, so think I will wait until it's colder before adding another layer. Her arms are cold in the mornings but she seemed to sleep better with fewer layers on. She's 18 weeks.

ZingOfSeven Fri 07-Nov-14 21:45:31

I so want to say silk pyjamas and a night cap!grin

he has a long sleeve popper vest and a babygrow.
he sleeps next to me in bed though

Twinklestar2 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:54:22

Short sleeved vest
Cheapy babygro from Sainsbury's (I buy the cheap ones for night time cause they're thinner)
2.5 tog sleeping bag

CinnamonBuns Fri 07-Nov-14 21:57:22

Short sleeved vest
Long sleeved pyjamas/baby gro
2.5 tog grobag
Socks

MrsRaegan Fri 07-Nov-14 22:00:09

Short sleeved vest, sleepsuit, sleeping bag. Never looked at a chart for sleeping in my life.

ByTheWishingWell Fri 07-Nov-14 22:01:03

DD is 14 months. The house tends to be around 19 degrees, and she wears pajama bottoms and a long sleeved top, or a long sleeved vest and pants, with a 2.5 tog sleeping bag.

ghostvitruvius Fri 07-Nov-14 22:01:52

Sleepsuit and a 2.5 tog sleeping bag. He doesn't seem to get cold but he does sleep with a fluffy comfort blanket too.

ByTheWishingWell Fri 07-Nov-14 22:02:09

DD does sleep in our bed though, so I suppose that's warmer than being in a cot.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 08-Nov-14 02:52:15

Well last night (it still is 'last night') I put DS in a short sleeved vest, his full body baby gro, his 2.5 tog bag and had him cuddled up to me in my bed with the quilt over the lower half of his body.

The result is that he slept over 6 hours - I honestly can't remember when he last did that!! What a huge improvement on his usual 2-3 hours when he's just in his pyjamas and 2.5 bag!!

chocolatedonut Sat 08-Nov-14 03:06:27

I don't have a thermometer in my bedroom but I reckon it's quite cool. 20 week DD wears 2.5 tog gro bag with onsie or 2 tog bag with long sleeve vest and onsie.

She never feels too cool or too warm when I check.

ColdCottage Sat 08-Nov-14 03:16:49

Our room has been between 15.7-16.5 degrees the last few nights so I have long sleeved vest, sleepsuit and long sleeved t-shirt - also added shorts over sleepsuit as he keeps waking up with his legs stuck out between the poppers. Shorts stop this. In a 2.5 grobag. Even with this he had chilly feet this morning.

I go by feeling the back of his neck to judge tempreture. Actually reads 17.7 at the moment so quite warm but the back of his neck is warm-cool so think he is ok. Also upped layers as felt he was waking due to cold.

Agree better to have them a little colder than over heat them. Never put anything on their heads as that is how they help to regulate their tempreture.

CakeMakesMeHappy Sat 08-Nov-14 07:35:26

I never know what's right. 4 month old DD wears a long sleeve vest and pj trousers and then has a sleeping bag. She seems ok but her hands were freezing this morning ��

CinnamonBuns Sat 08-Nov-14 07:51:21

That's great! They usually wake often if cold. Hope you feel more refreshed.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 08-Nov-14 08:14:34

Reading these posts had reassured me as it shows that despite the unhelpful chart we are all doing whatever feels right for us smile

After he went back to sleep (under the quilt with me) he slept for another 4 hours!! Absolute magic!!

Admittedly he feels warm when he wakes up but it's obviously what he wants. He must be like his m because I really, really feel the cold and just love being warm and snug!!

Lily311 Sat 08-Nov-14 08:24:52

2yr old dd wears long sleeve body, long sleeve pyjama tops and trousers and 2,5tog sleeping bags. Room temperature is 19 degrees.

SlinkyB Sat 08-Nov-14 08:32:57

9.5 month ds
short-sleevee body/vest
Sleepsuit
2.5 tog sleeping bag
Blanket over top in middle of night.

He slept through 7-7 from about 5/6 months, but has been waking in the early hours lately, I think because he was cold.

His room does get down to about 13.8 - 15 degrees sometimes though. Dreading the middle of winter, think we'll have to buy a portable heater...

toptomatoes Sat 08-Nov-14 08:39:15

It's about 17 in DD's room and she wears a short-sleeved vest, sleepsuitor pjs and a 2.5 tog sleeping bag. Occasionally add a thin blanket.

bouncinbean Sat 08-Nov-14 08:40:10

I found my dd needed to be warmer than the guidelines. Currently wears a vest, ssleep suitand 1.5 tog sleeping bag.
What I'm finding confusing though is that she's approaching18months and finding the bags restrictivewhen she wakes up so we were thinking of blankets or duvet but they seem to stop sleep suits or they become footless onesies at this age but how do you keep feet warm? This little girl loves pulling socks off so they wouldn't last a minute....

butterfly86 Sat 08-Nov-14 10:17:39

My 20 week dd wears a short sleeved vest, sleepsuit and 2.5 bag she was in a 1 tog bag but felt cold so I got a thicker one and she's sleeping better

Writerwannabe83 Sat 08-Nov-14 10:39:03

It seems a few people are also using blankets.

I have considered this many times but have always been told it's a no-no. What type of blanket do you use??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now