Talk

Advanced search

12 week old

(2 Posts)
nyldn Thu 06-Nov-14 23:03:08

I keep reading that babies at this age should be getting 14-16 hours of sleep a day.

my DS won't go down until 9:30-10, sleeps 5 hours, feeds and fussed for an hour, sleeps 3-4 more hours and then he's up. he will only sleep longer if I bring him into bed to sleep on my chest, but I really don't want to start that bad habit (as much as I love it).

during the day he'll be awake for 2 hours or just shy of and then will naps. anywhere from 30 min to 1.5 hours.

we never hit the 14 hour recommendation. He's a crying fussy baby and I'm afraid it's mostly due to lack of sleep but he refuses to be put down during the day, so unless in the pram, any napping is done on me. I can't be pinned to the couch all day, it's just not sustainable.

does anyone have tips? is 14-16 hours really what most babies are getting at 12 weeks? I'm a first time mom, so I'm really unsure.

ghostvitruvius Thu 06-Nov-14 23:08:08

I'd definitely bring him in to bed with you if that helps him sleep longer.

Have you tried a swing for day time naps? That really helps for babies who like motion.

Mine both slept 16+ hours at that age, but then I did let them sleep with me, held them, used a swing etc. I really don't think you have to worry about habits when they're little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now