Talk

Advanced search

I cannot sleep anymore - help

(9 Posts)
anotherbitofcake Tue 04-Nov-14 14:06:29

I have a 10 mo. He's slept through pretty much from 6 mo. I however am struggling - to get to sleep and then to stay asleep. I feel I never reach that deep sleep stage. I was ok at sleeping when I could in the early days but now I can't seem to drop off. Anyone else? Have u found anything to help? The slightest noise wakes me now. I think I'm quite an anxious mum subconsciously. I don't really feel anxious day to day but looking back since he was born I can see I fret about everything.
I don't want sleep to become an issue but it kind of is as I can't get it. Having bath etc does help but I think my main thing is I'm worried I won't hear him or that he will wake up in night (dumb right to worry about two opposite things!). Arrrrr

Madallie Tue 04-Nov-14 20:22:48

Hi another, I'm exactly the same in all those ways. It's so frustrating and I get so annoyed at myself. Sleep deprivation is such a horrible thing. I don't have advice cos i don't know what to do to make it better just wanted to let you know you're not on your own.

keepitgoing Tue 04-Nov-14 21:12:44

I'm exactly the same too. I sleep worse since she's slept better hmm I hate it

Madallie Tue 04-Nov-14 21:59:44

Keeping king, do you mind me asking what stops you sleeping well? In the RW I feel like the only one like this.

Iggly Tue 04-Nov-14 22:01:54

Is he in the same.room? Is the monitor on loudly?

I had to turn down the monitor so I'd hear crying, not every shuffle. I sleep worse if in the DCs room.

Also need good sleep hygiene I.e. no screens in bedroom, no TV and phones, internet etc after 9pm.

keepitgoing Wed 05-Nov-14 08:53:13

madallie I think it's being on high alert, worried baby will wake, knowing I'll be woken at 0630 latest... I have the monitor on lowest setting and wear earplugs otherwise I wake when she shuffles around. but she often does 1 or 2 cries between sleep cycles, she's asleep but I wake...

keepitgoing Wed 05-Nov-14 08:55:30

and if she wakes me at 5 I often can't go back to sleep. yes, she's in another room

a meditation app before bed, and trying to think I'm resting even if not sleeping, and it's OK if I don't, have helped a bit

teacher54321 Wed 05-Nov-14 19:31:30

This happened to me when ds was the same age. He was sleeping better and I felt like I was awake all night! Now he's 2 1/2 it's generally much better. I got rid of the monitor out of our bedroom and had a white noise track on repeat in one headphone which just helped distract me so I could relax at bedtime and then found I could sleep better. I still am a very light sleeper but it has improved smile

Wombat79 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:34:55

Nytol one a night are great. They don't knock you out but help you drift back to sleep. You could try 1/2 a tablet to start with but I am ok on a whole tablet (I wake up if DS cries) - trying to wean off after a week now. Ive reduced to half a tablet and seems to be working as still managing to stay asleep or drop off again once woken.
Sleep is pattern based so if you can break that pattern your onto a winner.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now