Talk

Advanced search

I give up

(6 Posts)
WhatsForYeWontGoByYe Mon 03-Nov-14 13:15:12

I really do. I've had enough. Except I know I'll have to do it again in a few hours. And again, and again ad infinitum.

My 18mo DD has always cried at bedtime. Every night without fail. Until she was 12mo she was bf to sleep, and there would always be tears at the end of the bedtime routine. She's always been a rough sleeper too - up frequently, taking at least an hour to resettle. Doesn't self settle.

Had weaned off the night bf, got rid of the association by doing some gentle sleep training (mixture of pupd and cc, but only up to max 5 mins crying and we never needed to do that). It worked for a month. Now we're back to epic meltdowns before naps and nighttime sleeps every night. She fights us if we have her in our arms and I'm not strong enough to restrain her. If we put her in her cot she screams and stands up and will continue screaming. Picking her up doesn't stop the screaming.

We've been trying a form of gradual retreat which works some nights but not others. It's exhausting. I can't take any more of this bloodcurdling screaming. We're also up for hours overnight with her, and she wakes at the slightest noise. Had (childless) guests staying over the weekend and we begged them to be careful with the stairgates etc but they kept 'forgetting' and letting them slam shut which woke DD and meant we then spent the next couple of hours resettling her again.

What do I do?? I was walking the streets with her for 2 hours at 2.30am last night cos I couldn't bear to be inside with the screaming.

Bek81 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:31:02

Hi, sound exhausting ! Does she need the naps I Only ask cause my dd started going to sleep better once I stopped worring about how many naps she was having. I don't let her sleep past 3 in the afternoon If I can help it. Now she tends to have one in the morning out and about in car or pushchair about 11 for an hour and then that's it till bed time at 7 ish. She also stopped teething at the same time so could also be that. Hope you figure it out soon xxx

Singsongmama Mon 03-Nov-14 20:35:04

You poor thing. I don't have any advice but my heart goes out to you. I know what it's like to be faced with the idea that you know what's coming every night. Sleep problems are so isolating and frustrating. I hope you get some good advice on here flowers

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 03-Nov-14 21:12:48

If you have the finances, give Ann a go. Yours sounds like an extreme version of what we had with DS1 - he hated his cot and his room so our only option was to co-sleep which became unworkable once I was pg with DS2. She sorted him out completely (all by phone and email) and now he loves his bed and his room and sleeps like a champ.

WhatsForYeWontGoByYe Thu 06-Nov-14 20:16:05

Thanks all. Good tip Elphaba, will check her out. I feel like all I do is attempt to get this child to sleep!

Epic meltdown at nap time which was only resolved when my mum tried instead and hey presto! Stopped screaming, went to sleep like a lamb....grr.

Am now listening to more bloodcurdling screaming while DH tries to put her down. She was an angel through bath time etc, got into the cot without complaint, lay down eyes shut, bit of babbling then BAM! Starts trying to stand up and the howling begins....

Sunshine200 Thu 06-Nov-14 21:29:55

Oh dear. Mine is exactly the same at 13 months, the thought of it continuing until 18 months is unbearable. She was up screaming for 3 hours the other night. I'm still breast feeding to sleep in the night, can't see an end to it!

Sorry, I know that's not helpful. Hopefully yours will stop once a few more teeth pop through (mine only has 4 so far so a long way to go)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now