Talk

Advanced search

9 week old very long naps

(9 Posts)
sparklingharbour Sun 02-Nov-14 18:54:45

Hi, my 9 week old is having a long daytime nap - 4-6 hours. Does this sound too much? I don't really want to wake her from it. She also has other shorter naps, and maybe does a 6 hour stretch at night (after midnight) if I am lucky. She has longer periods awake, especially the evening period. She is EBF.

Heatherbell1978 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:46:31

If she's feeding well and gaining weight etc then I'd say you are very lucky! DS1 is 10 weeks and has never slept more than 5 hours since birth, at night he does 4 hour blocks and during the day tends to just nap for 30 min at a time unless he's in the pram when he'd happily sleep the whole time. Means I don't really get to nap during the day. The only thing I can suggest though is to make sure she knows the difference between day and night as this can impact her sleeping patterns.

Littlef00t Sun 02-Nov-14 21:03:05

Hmm, I would personally wake after 3 hours during the day to try and get better sleeping at night.

slightlyconfused85 Mon 03-Nov-14 07:18:56

I had a sleepy baby. I would make sure she feeds after no more than 4 hours during the day. she may well go straight back to sleep but you want her feeding lots in the day rather than at night if possible. It will also help her to realise the difference between day and night. does she nap in daylight or dark?

sparklingharbour Wed 05-Nov-14 22:13:09

Thanks and sorry for delayed response as my computer broke. She does seem to know difference between day and night as she sleeps well after midnight it so, usually waking for a feed or two but happy in cot which generally she is not in the day. She stays awake mostly from late afternoon onwards to midnight. Hmm still not sure about waking in day as she is so young yet to be thinking of any kind of routine in my view. Will see.

sparklingharbour Wed 05-Nov-14 22:16:54

Meant to say as well there's no issue with enough milk as unfortunately I have oversupply. I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have asked the question now as really there is rarely a one size fits all answer as each baby and situation is so different! smile

Gingerandcocoa Wed 05-Nov-14 22:19:43

I used to wake my baby up ever 2.5-3 hours during the day. He was a very sleepy baby so waking him up was no easy task!
It worked for us as he has gone to bed for the night at 7.30 since he was a few days old (obviously not sleeping through since then, he's 4 months now and only wakes up for one feed).

redcaryellowcar Wed 05-Nov-14 22:47:46

I would only wake her if you think she is unwell, not sure if this is a one off or a pattern but if not that usual maybe she is having a growth spurt or recovering from a cold?

sparklingharbour Fri 07-Nov-14 14:41:15

Lucky you ginger !
Redcary, yes she does have a constant sniffle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now