Talk

Advanced search

7 month 'shouting' herself to sleep

(5 Posts)
tertle Thu 30-Oct-14 19:04:35

My 7 month old DD will either fall asleep breastfeeding or 'shout' herself to sleep. When she is still awake after feeding, I lie her in her cot and sit in the corner of the room and she shouts for between 5 and 30 minutes before dropping off. Shouting generally entails 'wouww wouwww wouwwww, bowww bowww bowww, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'… It's very loud. If she actually cries, I go to her and pick her up. She stops crying but wriggles and carries on shouting so I put her back in her bed. Eventually the shouts will die down and she'll roll over and go to sleep.

Does anyone else have a baby who does this? I'm concerned that the shouting could mean she's unhappy as after a while she will let out a scream but picking her up when she is shouting doesn't seem to help. Maybe she's not sleepy? Or maybe she is, and she's fighting the sleep? Or maybe she just likes chatting (loudly) to me/herself?

TIA.

GeorgeTheGiraffe Thu 30-Oct-14 19:12:02

Yes my dd is similar age and she shouts herself to sleep. I think it's like a frustrated cry "I'm tired and I want to sleep but oh it's so difficult to get to sleep by myself"!
We've been doing gradual retreat for the past 2-3 weeks and she will now self settle for naps but not for bedtime. Having said this she will still scream cry for a good 5 mins at the beginning sitting up at the bars but then usually lies down and shouts into the mattress before calming right down and making much less noise.
At bedtime she scream cries until you go back in and pick her up

tertle Thu 30-Oct-14 20:30:46

Thanks George. Dd always feeds to sleep for naps so we only have this issue at nighttime, and only the nights where she doesn't, for some reason, feed to sleep!
I think it might be a way of expressing tiredness too as she does eventually drop off.

slightlyconfused85 Thu 30-Oct-14 21:57:52

My DD did this (and a selection of other bizarre noises) until about 15 months. Once she became more verbal it turned into chatting and singing until she drops off, which she still does at 2 (instead of shouting, it is now endless renditions of wheels on the bus.... )

I think some children just need to make noise to drop off; it is a form of self settling, especially if she doesn't want picking up, so if she's not crying or upset I'd just shut the door and leave her to it!

tertle Thu 30-Oct-14 22:12:47

Thanks slightly, exactly what I needed to hear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now