Talk

Advanced search

Cocoonababy/sleepyhead silly money?

(23 Posts)
LittleRedDinosaur Fri 02-May-14 16:00:11

DD was (is) an awful sleeper. Those first few weeks were awful and she really wouldn't settle. I would have sold a kidney for her to sleep for longer than 20 minutes at a time so this time I've been looking and saw the cocoonababy and sleepyhead at John Lewis. Seem v expensive bug I don't care.
Are they as brill as the reviewers suggest?

Thanks!

Littlef00t Fri 02-May-14 20:24:24

My cousin swore by hers. My LO is a bad napper in the day and we just rolled up some towels for a similar effect (wouldn't do this at night as presumably increases SIDS risk.)

charlied2002 Fri 02-May-14 20:36:46

Hi I bought a sleepyhead on ebay as like you I thought it was pretty pricey for what it was (and still think that TBH!) and wasn't convinced by the reviews.

I would say that it is good, and my DD2 (16 weeks) prefers it to her moses basket and crib but I don't think it is a miracle worker (not for us anyway).

It was useful when I went to my Mum's as I took it along and had DD2 in it on the bed next to me (bed was against the wall obviously!) - so she was close to me for feeding and was sleeping somewhere familiar which I think helped her settle and sleep better than she would have otherwise. It is a bit bulkier than I expected though pretty light.

It is also good for tummy time - I have put her in it on the bed before now while playing with DD1 on the floor or getting her dressed and DD2 seemed to really like having a higher up perspective than usual - she was smiling away the whole time.

However, DD2 is very long (91st centile) and I'm not sure how much longer it will last her - certainly nowhere near the 8 months they claim.

ViviPru Sat 03-May-14 07:01:25

I'd be interested to know how the transition to cot goes once the become too big for it...

FelixFelix Sat 03-May-14 07:06:29

I bought a cocoonababy when dd was around 3 weeks old out of desperation as she just wouldn't sleep at night. The first night she slept in it, she went for 4 hours straight before waking up. She's 19 weeks now and still (just!) fits in it. I also have a Bednest and she sleeps on the cocoonababy inside the bednest. I'll have to stop using it when she learns to roll over so not sure what the transition to a normal mattress will be like! I have an old school Silvercross coach built pram and she sleeps flat in this during the day so I'm sure she will be fine smile

I was really skeptical at first as it was so expensive but DP bought one anyway and it's the best thing we bought! I'd totally recommend it. It's also great for travelling rather than lugging around a travel cot as it's small and light.

LittleRedDinosaur Sat 03-May-14 09:01:15

Thank you! Think we're probably going to get one

Roopachoo Mon 05-May-14 21:47:52

I had big hopes for our cocoonababy. Big waste of money for us, our bubba didn't like it, only slept in it during v early sleepy newborn stage (for about 2 weeks- and he was a month early) when he would sleep anywhere tbh.

AttitudeOfGratitude Tue 06-May-14 06:13:23

We bought a sleepyhead in desperation in week 2 as our DS would not sleep in his moses basket and it had been recommended by a friend who said it was the best baby item she had bought. We ordered from EBay as JL was out of stock at the time and for us it was worth every penny (even with the expensive 2nd cover). We moved the cot into our bedroom and put the sleepyhead in it at night and had no problems transitioning to the cot only once he'd outgrown it. He's now 4 months and I think we probably used it up to 3 months.

FelixFelix Tue 06-May-14 08:20:12

Just to add to this - took my dd out of the cocoonababy two nights ago as she's now 19 weeks and is trying very hard to roll over. I was very worried about the transition from cocoonababy to crib but she's been fine and slept just as well as before smile

funbagsandgubbins18 Wed 07-May-14 10:42:53

The cocoonababy is amazing is AMAZING! My 6 month old grew out of it 2 weeks ago and transition was a piece of piss

ViviPru Thu 08-May-14 14:08:45

Thanks for transition reassurance, all. I'm totally sold on cocoonababy now!

Quietlyalert Sun 11-May-14 04:47:20

Sleepyhead has been brilliant for our daughter fantastic for daytime naps before we started putting her in the cot, co sleep safely with it and at 21 weeks she still sleeps soundly in it though her feet hang over the end a bit now! She recently moved into cot from crib and we used it to help her get used to cot as she was a bit unsure napping in it at first. Seriously considering investing in the sleepyhead grande though not sure it will be as useful.

alisononline Wed 06-Aug-14 20:05:54

I love the sleepyhead deluxe - my daughter loves it - not only does she sleep through the night - she wakes in the morning and is happy to lie there in and snuggle. I am CONVINCED it is why she sleeps so well. She hated lying on a flat mattress before this. I just bought the next size up - sleephead grand too for when she turns 8 months.

studentvera Wed 06-Aug-14 21:36:42

Cacoonababy was best baby buy for us transformed our baby's sleep to one wake up at 5-12 weeks and now she sleeps 7-7 in it!shock

Mars1973 Thu 25-Sep-14 23:25:54

Hi, I only wish I had known about the Sleepyhead sooner. My LO had awful colic and we couldn't get him to sleep as he hated his moses basket and grew out of it within 3-4 weeks as he was so tall. I needed something quick 1. to help him sleep 2. to keep him safe, as had to transfer him to his cotbed a lot earlier than we anticipated.
Got this and it was amazing.
He took to it straightaway and snuggled off to sleep very quickly. Also kept him enclosed in the cotbed.
Great for travel too, as lightweight and we still use it now at 4 and half months. It opens up on the end so will last up to about 6 months if baby doesn't roll out of it. Our LO likes it so much he doesn't even try. It also gives LO something familiar to have in a travel cot when he stays a Nanny's.
£99 is not much, compared to sleepless nights and a crying baby that won't sleep. I recommend this 100%.
To save on the covers (which are around £39) we just bought John Lewis fitted travel cot sheets (2 in a pack for £15) which cover well to protect from stains etc. Ours still looks new and we will sell it on one LO is too big for it.
Good Luck ladies, you can only try it. I was sceptical at first but have no regrets.

notadoctor Thu 25-Sep-14 23:32:21

Our cocoonababy did nothing for us. Had very high hopes and was gutted when it didn't work. I think we're the exception though - everyone else raves about them !

biscuitsandbandages Thu 25-Sep-14 23:35:02

Omg I would have paid double for a sleepyhead if they had made them when my elder two were babies. Its been a lifesaver with our 3rd when I really thought we were going the same way as the boys and couldnt co sleep as I was in hospital. We used it from 3 to 7m. Well worth it.

Funkytown Thu 25-Sep-14 23:36:22

Sleepy head saved me when my son was about 3 weeks old well worth the money he's now 8 months and to transition him from sleepy head to cot I took the edging of the sleepy head and positioned it under the cot sheet making it slighty wider each time so he would get used to having 'space' worked a treat

Viasabat Thu 25-Sep-14 23:39:52

I could not have survived the first 6 months, without your sleepyheads. Best money we ever spent! That and the summer meant swaddle pod!

dorasee Thu 25-Sep-14 23:41:02

I have the sleepyhead for DC3. It has been a real godsend. Not a miracle but indeed a massive plus. Worth every silly cent.

Heatherbell1978 Fri 26-Sep-14 14:32:55

We bought the Sleepyhead when DS1 was 3 days old after he seemed a bit lost in his Chicco Next to Me crib. He went from waking every hour to sleeping for 4 hours solid the first night. Now at 5 wks he wakes every 3/4 hours and settles really well in it after feeds. Definitely worth the money.

Plateofcrumbs Wed 29-Oct-14 08:09:56

Bumping this just to add that the sleepyhead has been worth every penny for us too. DS would only sleep held in my arms or occasionally snuggled very very closely next to me. Bought this because I didn't feel comfortable co-sleeping like that (DS liked to burrow his face into a corner and I was panicked about suffocation). We had to persevere a bit over time until DS was ready for the transition but he now sleeps comfortably in the sleepyhead in our bed. Initially I still had to snuggle very close to him but the soft 'bumper' means you can rest your head on it and cuddle them. Now we can put DS down in it and walk away. It's also light and easy to transport (just a bit bulky) which means he will sleep just fine when we've been away overnight as his bed comes with him. Only concern is DS is very long and already touching the end at 3 months!

Tranquilitybaby Sun 23-Nov-14 17:24:06

Do any of you use the Sleepyhead for co sleeping? Just wondered how it would compare to a bedside cot?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now