Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping through the night too soon?

(11 Posts)
Cupcake14 Mon 31-Mar-14 10:11:20

My 11-week old baby has started sleeping through the night - off her own bat, not with us forcing her to do so. This sounds fabulous, but I have been told that it is too long for a baby of this age to go without a feed, and that she shouldn't really be sleeping through the night until 4-6 months. Does anyone have any experience of this? Should I be waking her up to take a feed?

PercyDarling Mon 31-Mar-14 10:13:15

My DD slept through from about this age. I wouldn't never have dreamt of waking her, but she was feeding healthily during the day, had plenty of wet and dirty nappies and was steadily gaining weight. I had no cause for concern.
Have you spoken to a HV?

ilovepowerhoop Mon 31-Mar-14 10:20:52

if she is feeding well during the day and is putting on weight then I would leave her to sleep.

PercyDarling Mon 31-Mar-14 10:22:14

And sleep yourself too!

Mrswellyboot Mon 31-Mar-14 10:23:58

As long as she has here quota of milk in the day, you're ok. I would let her sleep. Some babies just sleep better at night (not here) grin

OrangeMochaFrappucino Mon 31-Mar-14 10:24:22

Mine did 10 hrs or so a night at two months old. It was wonderful. Then he hit the four-month sleep regression a couple of weeks early and started waking regularly til about nine months. I would say enjoy it while it lasts! (And hopefully it will last for you!).

neversleepagain Mon 31-Mar-14 12:46:12

My twins were 6 weeks premature and slept through the night at 11 & 14 weeks (so 5 & 8 weeks corrected age).

As long as she is gaining weight then I would extremely happy grin

HandragsNGladbags Mon 31-Mar-14 12:49:20

DD1 slept 7-7 from 11 weeks.

DN slept 7 - 7 at 6 weeks shock

Cupcake14 Mon 31-Mar-14 14:12:05

Thank you everyone. Those answers were all very reassuring. And as a first-time mum, I need all the reassurance I can get!

peggyundercrackers Mon 31-Mar-14 15:16:34

our DD slept all the way through at that age too, we never thought about it being bad for her, just accepted that she was happy - we were too as we got some sleep smile enjoy the time to catch up on your sleep.

mrswishywashy Mon 31-Mar-14 15:53:24

I've worked with many newborns and most of them are sleeping 12 hours by 12 weeks some as early as nine weeks the occasional baby may have one feed up until six months or weaning. As long as they are drinking well during the day and otherwise happy and healthy then let baby sleep. This is likely due to building healthy sleep habits - well done for achieving that because it can sometimes take a very long time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now