Talk

Advanced search

Travel bed for a 3 year old?

(11 Posts)
OuterFromOutersville Sun 30-Mar-14 13:03:24

Does anyone have any suggestions for a travel bed for a 3 year old? I don't know whether to hope for a single bed if we go away (although I'll worry about him falling out), to use an air bed, or to buy a small travel bed.

He's in a single bed next to the wall, but with his old cot mattress in the floor next to the bed at night. He's fallen out a couple of times.

JanePurdy Sun 30-Mar-14 13:05:25

Put a single mattress on the floor? I wouldn't bother buying a special product although I think you can buy travel bed rail things.

OuterFromOutersville Sun 30-Mar-14 13:22:24

Thanks Jane. I suppose I'd like the flexibility of taking something with us wherever we go, and maybe something that he can feel excited about sleeping in. I don't want to waste £ unnecessarily though.

OuterFromOutersville Sun 30-Mar-14 14:57:50

Okay, we're going somewhere that there definitely isn't a bed for DS, which focuses the mind somewhat.

I'm thinking about buying a junior ReadyBed.

jamaisjedors Sun 30-Mar-14 15:00:02

You will be wasting £ unnecessarily if you buy something for a 3 year old.

You could get a camping mattress, which you could use longer term (we take ours when going to stay with people for the DC, now 7 & 7).

JuniperTisane Sun 30-Mar-14 15:00:51

Where are you going that doesn't have a bed of some kind for him? I assume not camping.

Anyway, a readybed would be fine. DS1 is 3 and he likes his one.

OuterFromOutersville Sun 30-Mar-14 15:04:51

We're visiting at least one relative without a spare bed in their spare room.

Thanks all, I'll check out camping mattresses and ReadyBeds.

JanePurdy Sun 30-Mar-14 15:18:31

I would get an air bed then.

Onelittlepiglet Sun 30-Mar-14 15:31:03

We've got one of these camping air beds they are great because they have sides so our dd can't roll, out (although it's on the floor anyway so she wouldn't fall). Easy to pack away and take with you to friends' houses or relatives etc. dd loves it and calls it her 'nest'!

JimmyCorkhill Sun 30-Mar-14 15:47:43

That camping air bed looks good. Beware - we have a ready bed for DD1. It's very 'nylon', she woke up with her hair on end from all the static and slightly damp as it was so sweaty.

babybouncer Sun 30-Mar-14 21:03:26

My kids loved their readybed - definitely worth the money if you're likely to go away a few times without a bed. We stayed overnight with friends and family quite a bit when we only had one child and even now we have two there's often a need for the younger one to sleep on the floor in our room when we're away. But ours started using the readybed aged 2 and moved to a £10 child-sized blow up mattress aged 4. So unless you really need the smaller one or will get a lot of use out of it, it might not be worth the extra money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now