Talk

Advanced search

Bedtime with two - 3 1/2 DS and baby due in two weeks - tips please

(12 Posts)
bigbadwritersblock Mon 24-Mar-14 19:41:18

Starting to panic a little... DC no2 is due in 2 weeks and I'm on my own with DS everyday. DH out of house 6-8 everyday if not later (today 10.30pm) so how do I do it with 2? I'm an exhausted mess by 5 at the moment so not sure how ill cope - any tips would be really gratefully received.
What do I do with DC2 when I'm doing bedtime routine (which is lengthy) with DS1 (he's been used to just me for over 3 1/2 years and I think sharing me at bed time is going to be hard for him.

bigbadwritersblock Mon 24-Mar-14 19:42:24

Realise my situation isn't unique - not looking for sympathy but just advice to smooth things over x

hoppinghare Mon 24-Mar-14 19:49:06

You'll not be as tired when you are no longer pregnant.
I carry my baby around whilst I go through the bedtie routine with the other two. I almost ignore her for a lot of it but she is just happy being held and snuggled close.
I would prefer to put her under a mobile or in a play gym etc but she is not one for being set down. Maybe yours will be happy to sit in a bouncy chair and watch.
Bath time is a bit crazy but the DCs still love it.

hoppinghare Mon 24-Mar-14 19:49:35

You'll not be as tired when you are no longer pregnant.
I carry my baby around whilst I go through the bedtie routine with the other two. I almost ignore her for a lot of it but she is just happy being held and snuggled close.
I would prefer to put her under a mobile or in a play gym etc but she is not one for being set down. Maybe yours will be happy to sit in a bouncy chair and watch.
Bath time is a bit crazy but the DCs still love it.

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Mar-14 19:56:34

I have a three year (+1 month) age gap and a travelling DH (often away during the week). Teeny tiny babies don't have a bedtime as such at 7 pm/whenever like their older sibs. I think i used to get dc2 changed into her "nighttime" baby grow when dc1 was going to bed. She (dc2)had milk when ds had his tea, and rarely interrupted his routine for a feed. I didn't bathe them together until dd was big enough to go in the big bath with ds. I used to bathe her in the mornings when ds was at nursery.

Our bedtime routine had kind of evolved as the the dc have got older (now 5 and 2).

DoItTooJulia Mon 24-Mar-14 20:01:14

Or you could all go to bed together, You will be so knackered in the first few weeks. Settle into a good book/thread/Netflix choice while ds1 snoozes next to you and baby cluster feeds (if you bf).

You will find a way, even though it seems daunting. Some babies like a sling, which would be good for bath time as your hands are free.

Good luck, enjoy those newborn snuggles!

bigbadwritersblock Mon 24-Mar-14 20:03:29

I guess I'm over thinking it in some ways, I'm just worried that ill be really exhausted and not give DS what he needs at that time of day. DS goes to nursery 3 mornings a week and I think those days will be fine but I find the other two days full on now.
Need to get some batch cooking done.

Thanks for the advice - slings all the way I think!

DonutWinners Mon 24-Mar-14 20:12:41

I had a 3 1/2 yr gap between dd1 and Ds, and then 4 yr gap between Ds and dd2. It's a great age gap as they are able to understand more and help out a bit.

I also had no help in the evenings, but it was fine once we got in to a routine. I used to put the baby in the bath with the big siblings on bath days, then have a story together on the bed before saying goodnight and having some lovely baby time for the evening!

bigbadwritersblock Mon 24-Mar-14 21:41:27

Thanks - reassuring to hear its not going to be tears and yelling (from me) xxx

SuiGeneris Mon 24-Mar-14 21:47:09

We have a 2.3 age gap but basically it works as others have said: baby in sling, get older child ready. Then older child in bed (theirs or yours) for stories; baby can listen/have a cuddle or be fed (easier if you are breastfeeding). Generally all asleep, me included, at the end of bedtime.

spritesoright Wed 26-Mar-14 04:18:48

Reading with interest as our bedtime "routine" is currently chaos. Dd1 is 2.5 and DD2 is nearly 6 weeks. Similarly I have to do it on my own.
I try to have DD2 in the sling but at 6pm it is basically meltdown time and she is very grumpy.
Try to feed/soothe in between bits but unfortunately need to put down a screaming newborn at crucial points like washing DD1's hair, brushing teeth, night nappy on.

DD1 is fairly self sufficient but of course bedtime is a challenge anyways with a toddler so it really does try my patience when she won't cooperate. Poor DD1 has got used to listening to stories over the din of her sister crying.

I can't wait until they both have a proper bedtime. I'm sure it gets easier...

Sid77 Wed 26-Mar-14 04:42:14

Mine are the same as yours sprite 5 month old just cries and cries at bath time because he's so tired, it's really sad for 3 year old and makes him annoyed. Am looking forward to when DS2 is a bit bigger and not so exhausted by 6pm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now