Talk

Advanced search

toddler nightmares waking terrified every night ovrr and over

(4 Posts)
mummyoffive1983 Mon 24-Mar-14 15:07:12

My dd aged 2 nearly 3 has never slept well. She is fiercely jealous of her little brother now 14months. Having mostly stopped the nocturnal milk bottles (A solution to giving up breastfeeding) she now wakes sometimes hourly through the night crying and running from her room after bad dreams. Having given up and brought her back in bed with me (and baby! ) she ofter still cries out!
I have three older children, one sharing a room with my dd who get disturbed and need to be up for school. Also I'm a single parent so I'm exhausted every day snd night.
Any suggestions?
Already got lamp in her room and keep hall lights on for her.

She is exhausted and bad tempered in the day so I need to help her. The HV said to put a stairgate on her room and let hrr cry. But can't do it to her.

Chocolateteabag Mon 24-Mar-14 18:06:19

Feel your pain ds1 is 3.3 and going through the nightmare stage.
Can your older DC's help with bed time? Reading "calming" books? Or at least playing quieter towards DD's bedtime. I'm just wondering if their tv or play is giving her imagination an overload?

Have been told by other mums that the nightmares are a phase we have to just get through though. Sorry.

Chocolateteabag Mon 24-Mar-14 18:08:29

Didn't work with ds1 but someone did suggest a new toy he could play with " to scare away the monsters"
Maybe something that lights up and/or plays a lullaby. Ds1 already has a fisher price seahorse so this wasn't a goer for us

mummyoffive1983 Tue 25-Mar-14 18:17:50

She just wants me. Won't have teddy or other comfort item. She does sometimes watch exciting tv so will reduce and give a try. My other dcs have had nightmares at this age but not like dds.
Thanks for the ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now