Talk

Advanced search

Sleep...pattern or not?

(3 Posts)
MissRatty Thu 20-Mar-14 18:59:24

DS is 16 weeks old and although he is good during the night waking for between one and three feeds), his actual pattern and especially during the daytime, is a bit erratic.

At night he'll sleep from between 9pm through to about 6 or 7am or thereabouts, and sometimes longer. We always try to get him to bed at 9 at the latest to try to get him to sleep or at least give the nightime routine stuff.

He's always alert and happy in the morning when he wakes, but during the day his sleep is all over the place.

Some days he'll just have little catnaps, others he'll have a good solid few hours in the afternoon, some days he seems to sleep for most of it in short bursts and other days he barely sleeps at all.

Should I just allow him to sleep when he needs during the day and keep the night routine, and hope he falls into a day routine too? Or should I try to get him to sleep for a few hours in the day as a solid nap?

BigDogLittleDog Thu 20-Mar-14 20:10:59

I'd say if your nighttime doesn't seem affected by his ever changing day time sleeps and he doesn't seem tired or ratty or upset in the day due to lack of sleep then stay as you are!

MissRatty Sat 22-Mar-14 06:51:41

He does tend to get ratty in the evenings, especially if he's had little sleep in the day. Do you think I should try to get him to sleep for a stretch, leave him catnap or let him find his own pattern?

Catnaps are not good for me, as he'll only sleep on me...but a longer stretch he'll happily go in his cot. Its just if he diesn't want to sleep I'm not sure if he would actually sleep if you know what I mean...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now