Talk

Advanced search

Why has ds stopped sleeping in the pram?

(7 Posts)
cogitosum Thu 20-Mar-14 13:22:22

We have a pretty good routine for daytime naps. He mostly naps in the sling during the day but in preparation for starting at cm I started giving him naps in the pram. It worked really well and he settled easily at the same time for same length.
(He will self-settle in cot for daytime naps but they don't last long 30 mins average whereas in the sling and pram he can do 1.5 hr)

However the last few weeks he's stopped sleeping in the pram. He starts dropping off, his eyes shut then suddenly he'll open them and jerk himself awake trying to sit up. Nothing has changed with the pram. I've tried different angles, draping a muslin over the hood, walking in quiet places etc. he'll sometimes eventually drop off out of exhaustion but this morning it was over an hour after he'd normally sleep and I was walking round all that time and eventually had to hold his hands down. It's as if he's deliberately waking himself up as soon as he starts falling asleep!

cogitosum Thu 20-Mar-14 13:22:35

He's 8 months

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Thu 20-Mar-14 13:23:31

Have you tried a snooze shade?

cogitosum Thu 20-Mar-14 14:06:52

I've tried similar but it doesn't seem to work and up until about 2-3 weeks ago he slept fine. He still sleeps in the sling fine in daylight.

If he can't see he gets frustrated and tries to get out as he can hear and wants to see. It's just weird that it started so suddenly. Literally overnight he went from falling asleep easily in the pram to fighting every nap!

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Fri 21-Mar-14 08:53:40

most kids do stop napping happily in their prams at some stage and you become a bit tied to the house. Hopefully it's just a phase.

I have more success with DS if I don't encourage him to nap. If I don't bother he'll often just drop off on his own. When I want it to happen, it doesn't.

claremoss Fri 21-Mar-14 09:53:55

I would try him in the cot again, he may now sleep for longer. He may just need more space now he is getting bigger

cogitosum Fri 21-Mar-14 13:38:14

I try every now and then and he won't sleep for more than 30 mins in cot.

He sleeps best during the day in the sling so it's not tying me to the house. Just annoying as he only had about 4 weeks of sleeping in the pram and it's now back to the sling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now