Talk

Advanced search

Naps - persevere with cot or just whatever works?

(7 Posts)
afrikat Tue 18-Mar-14 14:59:35

My lb is 6 months next week. Since 4 months night sleep has been awful - waking every 1-2 hours. He seems to slowly be improving (we are getting some 3 hr stretches now) but day naps are also v difficult. He used to go down v easily in his pod in the living room with me and sleep for hours. Now almost every nap is a battle and am lucky to get a 40 minute cat nap out of him

We are starting to transition him to his cot at night and would like to start him napping in there but it's just not happening. I do a short pre-nap wind down, get him drowsy but awake, settle him in there and... Fussing, screaming, fighting sleep all the way. This morning I tried for 2 hours on and off (would take a break, let him play etc then try again) but he just got more and more tired and extremely grouchy. In the end I resorted to taking him out in the pram - instantly asleep

So, is there anything I can do to help him nap in his cot? Or should I stop stressing about it and do what works - go for a walk? If he naps in his pram he will often last 90 minutes - should I be concentrating on quality naps to hopefully result in better night sleep? Or should I persevere with the cot, hoping he eventually gets tired enough to give in and go to sleep??

lanbro Tue 18-Mar-14 15:03:28

I'm sure everyone will have different opinions but I never pushed the cot for naps, life is much easier if they fall asleep in the car or pram. I have a 2yo and 6mo, both allowed to nap whenever and wherever and both sleep through 11-12 hours at night.

I say do whatever causes you both the least stress, and whatever is most convenient!

NickyEds Tue 18-Mar-14 16:18:29

Hi I'm starting to feel paranoid about this napping thing!!!! I just let DS nap wherever he goes off- usually the buggy or his chair if we're home. Are we "supposed" to put them into their cots?? Wouldn't that mean that we always have to be in at nap time?
I think you should stop stressing and do what work for you(I say stressing!) My DS is only 12 weeks but is 6 months old enough for a comforter or teddy that can just stay in the cot and be associated with going to sleep time? 2 hours trying sounds very hard on you both!! You have my sympathies if not any decent advice. Wishing you some sleep.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 18-Mar-14 16:25:32

I'd do whatever works for you as naps do not last forever so it will not be something you will always have to do.

Mummyonthehill Tue 18-Mar-14 17:25:06

My baby is 5 months and used to nap in the pram (in the house) or cot very well. Recently however he would only last 10 minutes or so. I spent hours every day trying to put him down for a nap, which made him overtired, screaming and having poor night sleep, me exhausted and stressed from the failed naps, and snapping at everyone.
For the last few days he's only napped in the car, a moving pram, or on me in the house on the sofa. I feel letting him nap on me has changed everything. He's happier, napping and getting better night sleep, I'm no longer a wreck and am nicer to be around. I'm aware I may well be making a rod but right now everyone is happy whereas a week ago we certainly we're not. In summary, whatever works!

SliceOfLime Tue 18-Mar-14 17:28:09

I remember getting really stressed trying to get my dd no nap in her cot - she never did! Either in the pram or on my lap/next to me on the sofa after a feed. I'd go with what's easiest, it's not worth putting yourself through hours of agony to get them napping in the cot. Plus I think it's actually very restrictive, friends of ours wouldn't leave the house at certain times of day because they had to nap at home whereas we could be much more flexible.

afrikat Tue 18-Mar-14 20:28:50

Ok thanks all. As of tomorrow I am going to stop worrying about the cot and go with whatever works. Already feel less stressed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now