Talk

Advanced search

What age did you move little one from cot to toddler bed?

(15 Posts)
kirdy Mon 17-Mar-14 13:24:38

I'm thinking about moving my dd 16 months to toddler bed but I'm not to sure if it will help with her night time waking. She falls to sleep fine on her own in her cot but wakes every night crying wanting to come into my bed. She had co slept with me since birth till around 10 months. It took a long time trying to get her to fall to sleep on her own use to have to walk with her while rocking and bobbing for about 45 mins every night. Just don't know if I should wait until she is not waking at night before introducing toddler bed or if I should just go for it??

poocatcherchampion Mon 17-Mar-14 20:29:31

still in a cot at 2. will take the sides off when she is night potty trained. I like her where I can keep her at night although she is pretty sensible.

but I'm not generally one for rushing milestones tbh.

if she was a climber I might have done it by now.

WillowB Mon 17-Mar-14 20:54:29

DS is in his cot still at 22 months. I'm of the 'if it ain't broke...' school of thought. He sleeps pretty well in there and is contained. I think I will move him to a bed when he is old enough to be excited about going into a 'big boys' bed. Like the poster above I don't think there's any rush.

MrsHerculePoirot Mon 17-Mar-14 20:55:46

Moved DD to bed at 22/23 months - she didn't realise she could get out herself for aaaaaaages!!!!!

BikeRunSki Mon 17-Mar-14 20:59:25

Ds moved at 19 months when he started climbing out.
Dd - the amazing non sleeping baby - moved at 17 months, because I thought maybe the cot was too small for her to be comfortable. It worked for a bit, until she found another reason to wake up several times a night.

outtheothersidefinally Mon 17-Mar-14 21:00:43

She started being upset going to bed in the cot at around 27 months. I realised didn't didn't like being closed in any more (suppose with her getting bigger and more aware). Took the sides off - fell asleep straight away.

RedandChecker Mon 17-Mar-14 21:06:50

Personally I wouldn't introduce a toddler bed unless it was for safety reasons. My DS was a climber at 16 months and I had no choice, it was truly dreadful trying to get him to stay in that bed and took a lot longer than 45 minutes to get him to stay and go to sleep!

lottiegarbanzo Mon 17-Mar-14 21:12:32

I suppose up I think it goes with potty training, so moving from babygros to pyjamas and from sleeping bags to covers. Dd, almost 2, is still at the baby stage in all those things and I don't see any hurry, until she'll need to be able to get up for the potty.

She is an accomplished climber during the day but her cot side is shoulder height, with mattress lowered, so I'm not sure how she'd climb that in a sleeping bag!

I quite like her being contained and she is perfectly happy, for now.

MrsBungle Mon 17-Mar-14 21:17:05

I moved dd into a bed at 2 and she was fine. Ds is 22 months and I envisage i will need to contain him for at least another 6 months!

BettyStogs Mon 17-Mar-14 21:24:33

We moved DS1 when he was around 2.3, purely because I was pregnant and wanted him to be used to toddler bed before new baby came and needed the cot. He loved his 'big boy bed' straight away and like a PP has mentioned didn't realise he could get out on his own for ages- we moved him in November and it's only this week that he has started getting up on his own in the morning. Thankfully not too early yet!

ScampiFriesRuleOK Mon 17-Mar-14 21:27:33

My DS was 29 months when we went straight from cot to a full single bed complete with proper pillow, duvet etc. I'd been happy having him contained until that point, but when he started climbing out it was time to move up.

Imo toddler beds are a waste of money. Just move straight to their proper 'big boys bed'and cut out the middle man. It's an unnecessary new invention and a new 'must-have' that costs money, when in the long-run they'll soon not be toddlers and will need a proper bed.

We didn't do the whole cot-bed thing either for a similar reason. We knew we wanted 2dcs and that we'd need use of a cot for dc2 before the older dc1 had out-grown the toddler-bed aspect. If that makes sense.

SkiSchoolRun Mon 17-Mar-14 21:33:56

Dd1 2y3m when she refused to wear a nappy at night. She was fine.
Dd2 around 2nd bday as the cot was on its last legs. This coincided with dd1 starting school and dd2 being potty trained. It was a disaster. Put her back into cot (no more nails on dodgy bit) and sleeping bag. Tried again when she asked at 2 and 4m and she's been a star. She's refused a nappy tonight (2&6m) so this could be fun....

Noggie Mon 17-Mar-14 21:36:11

Age 3- big girl bed was birthday present! She was so excited and loved it!

kirdy Tue 18-Mar-14 11:22:56

Thank you for all your comments I think I may wait a little longer to move her into toddler bed she isn't a climber yet but she does get into a state screaming and chucking herself around the cot banging her head. Anyone got any tips in getting her to sleep through the night x

poocatcherchampion Tue 18-Mar-14 16:07:25

ski how did you get on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now