Talk

Advanced search

Need to stop swaddling 9month old help please!

(10 Posts)
Thegreatunslept Sun 16-Mar-14 20:28:48

Anyone any experience of stopping swaddling at the old age of 9 months?
My ds sleep well in his swaddle and generally sleeps through the night when swaddled but recently has been getting out of his swaddle in the middle of the night.
When he does this he is unable to get himself back over to sleep unless he is swaddled again.
I would appreciate any ideas on how to wean him from swaddling as I tried cold turkey today which resulted in him crying and getting very upset until he was swaddled.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sun 16-Mar-14 20:43:56

Can he sleep in a grow bag?

aussiemelbmama Sun 16-Mar-14 21:05:44

We had the same problem with DD when she was about 5 months and we were advised against going cold turkey. However, we loosened the swaddle a little and left one arm out for a week or so and then after another week, we very loosely wrapped her to give her the cue of swaddling and then eventually left her other arm out. We replaced the swaddle with a sleeping bag and it was a lot less painful that we thought it would be. HTH.

keepitgoing Mon 17-Mar-14 08:27:58

we recently went cold turkey with our 4mo as she started rolling. she has been waking up lots more, though it could be the 4 month sleep regression as well. I think doing it gradually would have been better. yawn

jumblebee Mon 17-Mar-14 08:30:28

Keeping an eye on this, our 7mo sleeps 7-7 swaddled but without the swaddle she takes ages to fall asleep and wakes up a lot more confused

keepitgoing Mon 17-Mar-14 08:57:17

older babies - are you not concerned about them rolling and getting stuck on their tummies?

chandlery Mon 17-Mar-14 09:02:40

We bought some magic merlin sleepsuits from America. It was £50 for two, but you can pick them up on eBay for a few pounds. They are a padded sleepsuit which cushions their movements to disturb them less during the night but without the restrictions of a swaddle. They have been a godsend to us and I'm dreading it when baby grows out of them.

jumblebee Mon 17-Mar-14 12:45:38

Keepitgoing that is a constant worry of mine, but we use a baby wedge (I think this is the name) that prevents her from rolling over. She has wriggled upwards a few times recently so I think now we're on to the next stage of weaning her off the swaddle. It's such a pain because being swaddled is like her cue for going to sleep so I'm not looking forward to when it's gone

Thegreatunslept Fri 21-Mar-14 09:34:53

Just wanted to update tried swaddling ds with one arm out. This just resulted in him completely unwrapping himself and getting tangled in his blanket! confused
So we went cold turkey no swaddling just put him in a grow bag.
1st nap he cried for about 20 then slept for 20.
2nd nap cried for 10 mins slept for 40mins.
That evening put him down he whinged for about 10mins but slept as normal.
Yesterday went well but last night ds kept moving around so much the sensor pad went off a few times during the night because he was curled up in the corner.
Thanks for all your advice.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 21-Mar-14 12:20:43

Fantastic news! It is annoying about the sensor pad going off, as you throw yourself out of bed and they are curled up quite happily. My 7 month ds is generally upside down or wedged in a corner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now