Talk

Advanced search

need advice please - 7 mo waking through night

(13 Posts)
cheekboneslikegeometry Fri 14-Mar-14 13:02:15

My LO is 7 months old now, and frequently wakens up during the night - usually at least 2 or 3 times, at worst every hour and a half - which is leaving me feeling sleep deprived and depressed. I think she is waking up with trapped wind / farting - she will often draw her legs up to her chest and start crying which seems to waken her up. When I pick her up (which is the only thing to soothe her - I've tried, and failed - to get her to calm down in the cot) she farts away like a trooper. This has been going on for a couple of months now. I know she can sleep through the night - she has done in the past (usually 10 hours, but sometimes as much as 12 hours).

I have spoken to a HV and paediatrician about this - the HV was dismissive and told me that the baby "should have grown out of that by now" and I needed to start sleep training/ leaving her in her cot and let her cry it out (which I just can't bring myself to do - especially as she seems to be in real distress / pain). The paediatrician told me that some babies are just like this and to do whatever it takes until she does grow out of it.

Essentially I have 2 problems - her night-wakings and my sleep deprivation. I don't know if its the lack of sleep that leaves me feeling so teary and depressed, or if I am headed towards PND. I know I need to do something - but I'm on my own, and there is no one to help / take over from me during the night.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 14-Mar-14 13:12:59

If she is being weaned can you keep a food diary and see if some food isn't agreeing with her?
And I would ignore the HV, leaving a baby that is in pain is indeed cruel.

cheekboneslikegeometry Fri 14-Mar-14 14:20:40

It all started before she was weaned. I have been keeping a diary to see if there is a pattern, but nothing so far. She farts during the day too - but it doesn't seem to bother her as much then!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 14-Mar-14 14:48:12

Depending on bf/ff could be a milk allergy, I know a baby with a similar problem and they switched to the anti colic formula by aptimal and it has worked for them.

cheekboneslikegeometry Fri 14-Mar-14 21:17:39

Oh that's an idea.

She was combination fed to begin with - but I dropped the last of the formula feeds about a month ago as I wondered if it might be something to do with the aptamil. She did have a reflux problem, but because she was gaining weight, the HV said not to bother with a referral. GP prescribed gaviscon, which made no difference and colief - which did seem to help. But haven't used that for a couple of months. Might be worth trying again - but such a hassle when BF'ing!

Thanks!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 15-Mar-14 00:08:23

Hope tonight goes better for you, if you are ebf, try cutting out dairy with you, just to rule it out. if possible, thou it takes about a month to see any difference.
I've been very lucky with my ds, but know a few people that have had similar problems, and hv's have been useless.

penguintor Sun 16-Mar-14 09:30:11

Oh my goodness!!!!! Someone else with a baby with the same problem!!! My 6 months wakes every hour to 2 hours with farts. Very upset and will only settle with a quick boob feed. She is doing well with food but the problem started long before weaning.if u leave her to self settle she goes mental for a bit then completely wakes up! ! So best nights she will sleep 2 hour intervals and worst nights she wakes hourly usually it's a mixture of the two. I feel so horrendously ill with tiredness and exhaustion all the time. Mt 1st child slept through the night at 10 weeks but my middle child has similar problems with wind waking her up. She grew out of it by about 10 months but would still wake for feeds out of habit then and had to control cry her off boob feeding at 11 months. 3 days later she slept through the night! My current 6 month old is definitely even worse though. Hourly intervals just don't sustain you to function properly! !! Soooooooo envious of people whose babies sleep well as people have no idea how ill sleep depravation makes you. I actually felt sick last night and dizzy and went to bed at 7pm with the children! ! It's just a phase a d it won't last forever it what I keep telling myself!

Goldfishgoldfish Sun 16-Mar-14 10:34:49

Thank god it's not just me! DD is 7 months and, like yours, seems in pain with wind during the night. She used be very bad as a baby, it improved at about 8 weeks but since I started weaning has gotten bad again.

I don't think it's related to a specific food, I think it's just her digestive system adapting. Really hope it improves soon!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sun 16-Mar-14 20:32:47

Have any of you tried baby massage or reflexology? I've done it since my ds was tiny as I heard it was good for digestion and trapped wind.
There are videos on YouTube or you can go to classes.

cogitosum Sun 16-Mar-14 20:36:40

Exactly the same! We've had periods of ds sleeping through but not for a while now sad

He's on reflux, stopped coilef a few weeks ago. Can't identify triggers through food diaries for me or him.

He self settles initially but needs me throughout the night. I'm exhausted and HV just awful.

So no advice but huge sympathies

poocatcherchampion Mon 17-Mar-14 20:35:38

we've got some of this too. weaning isn't going brilliantly and she did have a week of sleeping through before we started. poor love I hope she settles down a bit soon..

poocatcherchampion Tue 18-Mar-14 16:08:34

well she slept through! no idea why. great though!!

cheekboneslikegeometry Wed 19-Mar-14 10:45:16

Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem - though sorry to hear you are all suffering too sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now