Talk

Advanced search

pu/pd teqnique ... how much is the baby actually meant to cry ???

(8 Posts)
patsypancake Fri 14-Mar-14 12:59:11

I have started pu/pd baby wisperer sleep training method .. it is described as the no cry sleep training but ds is completely hysterical !
have done it twice so far last night took 45mins to go to sleep awake within an hour and then every 30mins from then ...

and then nap time just now took 30 mins but she doesn't seem to stop crying at all .

the method says .. pick baby up and when she stops crying put her back down ! ds doesn't stop crying but is completely hysterical I just wait 2-3 mins cuddling her and put her down and pick her up again. . or i'm having to bounce her -not to sleep- just until she is calm and put her back down but she seems to be crying a hell of a lot although never on her own .

I am wondering if she is crying too much or is this what is supposed to happen?

MillionPramMiles Fri 14-Mar-14 14:03:36

Pu/pd was a disaster for my dd. Each time I picked her up she became more and more upset. The theory is that the baby calms down when picked up, but mine certainly didn't. Each pu and pd made her more upset.

If it isn't working for your ds my advice would be to try something different. Personally I don't believe there is a no cry sleep solution that works for all babies but some methods might make your baby less upset. I used cc in the end (at 10mths) which ironically made dd far less upset than gradual retreat or pu/pd. She found it easier to fall asleep on her own, with her teddy and dummy than with me patting her or sitting by her. At 21 mths she still prefers that.

Try to work out the easiest method that calms your ds down (putting a dummy in was far easier at 3am than rocking or feeding to sleep!) and maybe work around that?

patsypancake Fri 14-Mar-14 15:13:37

I did dr Richard Ferber with ds now 3 and worked a dream but a friend suggested this method and it sounded slightly more gentle but I feel its actually worse as with dr Ferber you are not in the room to hear her scream and I only left ds for 30secs at a time...
and when he fell asleep he was out for few hours

I am now confused and I don't know what to do I need to keep going but don't know what method to approach . I spoke to HV yesterday and she said dd months is too young for sleep training and gave me no other advice but dd has literally got o the point where she is not sleeping at all and every day its getting worse. I have to do something now as its affecting all of us but I really don't know the best approach

mrsbug Fri 14-Mar-14 15:19:20

How old is your dd? My dd was just like you describe, she didn't stop screaming if i picked her up, i had to actually put her on the boob for her to stop crying.

at 14 months she still feeds to sleep although she now stays asleep for most of the night, then comes into our bed in the early hours and stays there for the rest of the night. It works for us most of the time

patsypancake Fri 14-Mar-14 15:34:02

5.5m

cakebaby Fri 14-Mar-14 18:36:54

PUPD was the worst thing for my ds, it drove him batshit crazy. He was furious and inconsolable, complete waste of time. I know others its worked for though confused

mrsbug Fri 14-Mar-14 19:53:40

I think 5.5 months is too young for sleep training, they still need milk in the night at that age. Dd's sleep got a lot better by itself around six months.

Could you co sleep to maximise the amount of rest you are getting?

Milkymickey Mon 17-Mar-14 16:05:16

I have done a much gentler pu,pd with some success, i pick up but then cuddle till really calm - listen till breathing slows - then pd.
i used it to teach ds to self settle, which he can now do after feeds in the night and at start of night. For daytime naps I continue to use pu/pd. it often takes 3-4 goes and ds often falls nearly asleep on me and then I put down.

However, although this is great and has saved me hours of holding and jiggling....ds is still a terrible night time sleeper, currently waking 2-6 times a night. So self settling isnt the holy grail. I wish i knew what I could do...my ds 5 months. Am praying for a miracle...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now