Talk

Advanced search

How much sleep?

(9 Posts)
Rachie1986 Thu 13-Mar-14 20:31:54

Ladies, can you talk to me about sleep please? How much does your lo sleep at night? How much in the day? How do they fall asleep - on you, in cot, in swing etc?

I'm convinced my 10wk old dd is not sleeping enough and yet I can't get her to sleep more. She only ever falls asleep on us then we transfer to cot etc (with varied success), I don't know how to change this.

Just feel rather bewildered and useless xx

MomOrMum Thu 13-Mar-14 20:43:21

I have an 11 wo. She seems to have about 4 naps per day and night sleep of 11-12 hours (not straight through...I wish!). All sleep is very hard won! Naps mostly in sling and night sleep mostly beside/on me. She fell into feeds about every 3 hours ages ago so I mostly try to feed when she wakes up, then from about 1 hr 15 mins after she wakes I start trying for the next sleep. Bouncing in sling, white noise, etc. I try to keep her asleep until the next feed so maybe 1.5 hours best case. I'd say she ends up with maybe 1 nap of 2 hours, 1 nap of an hour or so, and 2 45 min ones. Then 11-12 hours overnight with several feeds/cuddles but she settles quickly afterwards overnight. So probably 15 hours in 24?

She is very settled and easy compared to my older 2 but I still make a big effort to get her to sleep and keep her asleep. Though with some babies no amount of effort works!

It's a very hard age for sleep I think...they just start learning the joys of fighting sleep and can get very overtired!

Some babies need much less sleep than others...so go by mood/behaviour rather than compare.

MomOrMum Thu 13-Mar-14 20:46:11

The transfer to cot thing only works for me sometimes at bedtime. In the day, she needs to either fall asleep in her hammock, where she'll sleep 45 mins to the second, or stay in arms. I usually try to get her to go down in the hammock and then when she peeps at 45 mins I pop her in the sling to get her back to sleep and she'll often do another 45 mins.

NickyEds Thu 13-Mar-14 21:05:01

My DS is 11 weeks old. During the day he sleeps mainly in his buggy- I'm ashamed to say I haven't even tried to put him down in his cot in the day!! So, the amount of naps he has depends on how long he's in it!! Most days he either has 1 long (3hr) or 2 (1hr30mins ish) naps. He also cat naps after feeding but tends to wake if put down. We bath him at 7-7.30 then he has a feed then he sleeps on me on and off until 10 ish when we go to bed. I feed him again and put him (asleep) into his cot. He sleeps in his cot until 4-5 when he wakes for a feed (takes maybe 30 mins) then back into his cot until 7 when he wakes up for the day.

I do worry about his napping in the buggy but I don't really want to be tied to the house by getting him into the habit of napping in his cot. He's been getting cranky during the after bath-before bed spell so we're considering feeding him in the nursery and putting him straight to bed- then leaving him (with a moniter) until we join him. I'm really nervous about doing this(SIDS risk) but we're just disturbing him downstairs!!
I suppose in all amounts to around 13-14 hours in total. Can't self-sooth yet but I'm not worrying too much. What makes you think she isn't getting enough?

Rachie1986 Fri 14-Mar-14 04:54:47

Thanks for your replies :-). She just seems to get really tired and grumpy on a daily basis, yet won't sleep more. I wouldn't worry as much if she seemed happier in herself but sometimes she is obviously exhausted and just won't sleep'

Tealady1983 Fri 14-Mar-14 06:38:12

My dd is a little bugger. She used to sleep 11 hours at night and have a hour nap during day but for the past week she has been up 3-4 times a night not to feed to play hmm. She isn't sleeping anymore during the day which is making her very tired and very grumpy when she feels tired she is teething I think she is 16 weeks now. A child psychologist told me that a baby that used to sleep through that suddenly stops has usually developed a new action like rolling over or sitting up or walking and all their energy go into that so they struggle to stay asleep all night.

Hotmad Fri 14-Mar-14 08:25:34

My DD is 14 weeks, she usually has a nap every 1.5 to 2 hours of being awake, usually lasting about 45-60 mins sometimes longer around lunchtime if I help her. Now for the problem I have, I can only seem to get her to sleep in arms by rocking etc and she could go off In 5 mins but I just can't seem To settle her in cot or anywhere else, she also sleeps better and longer if I let her sleep on me, trying to put her down usually ends with her wide awake again. At night she will sleep from 7pm on me (again, this is starting to do me in) to 10.30 when I wake her to dream feed and she was f

Hotmad Fri 14-Mar-14 08:26:20

She was going through to 7 ish but it's getting earlier again! Last few mornings she is awake at 5-6 am

Rachie1986 Fri 14-Mar-14 20:36:40

Thanks ladies :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now