Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best approach to multiple wakings?

(5 Posts)
Expectans Wed 12-Mar-14 20:13:32

DS is 11wo. He has a long feed before going straight to sleep at 7pm and usually sleeps until 12/1. This is a lovely long stretch and I am grateful for it! He then usually feeds and sleeps again until 3ish.

However, the rest of the night is quite variable, and he sometimes wakes 3 or 4 times more. I am very happy to be woken up if he is hungry. When he only sucks a couple of times then goes back to sleep.

It might be wishful thinking, but I would like to encourage him to feed only at 12/1 then 3/4, then morning. What is my best approach? I cannot leave him to cry at that time because the walls are thin and I like the neighbours. Would just cuddling work? I am a single parent, so no one else around to help, or pick up the slack when I am barely functioning on very broken sleep.

Expectans Wed 12-Mar-14 20:15:30

That should say 'when he only sucks a couple of times and goes back to sleep he clearly did not need a feed'

claremoss Wed 12-Mar-14 21:07:45

hmmmmm, 11 weeks old is very young. I would feed each time, and actually, you could bring him into bed with you as he is probably not hungry like you say, but he wants his mummy near him. I did this sometimes with my LO and she sleeps fine in her cot, didn't affect it long term. I wouldn't leave an 11 week old to cry for very long, they can't self soothe back to sleep very easily at that age. I remember the tiredness, it is crazy! Just try to rest in the day and forget the housework grin)

luckiestgirlintheworld Sun 23-Mar-14 22:19:57

I'd co sleep if its possible. Pop a boob in his mouth when he wakes and neither of you will have really had to wake before you're both back to sleep again. That way you're not losing sleep til he grows out if waking so often.

Chocolateteabag Sun 23-Mar-14 22:33:56

I would bring him into your bed at 3am - he is wanting comfort and snuggles when he just takes a swig or two and then drops off so why fight it. Easier for you to take him back into your bed and you can co-sleep the rest of the night.

DS2 (13 wks) usually wakes at 5-6am (after 2am feed) and he comes into our bed then most mornings. I did this with ds1 as well and he eventually slept later and so didn't "need" it. Having said that ds1 is now 3.3 and loves coming into our bed in the morning.

It won't last forever - they won't be getting out of bed without a fight before we know it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now