Talk

Advanced search

Cheerful waker - possible to sleep train?

(8 Posts)
SunnyL Wed 12-Mar-14 20:13:05

Ok I've read a fair few books now, web pages etc. They all talk about babies that wake in the night crying and how to manage the situation. A couple have mentioned that their techniques may not work on babies that don't cry so I'm looking to the wise Mnetters for advice.

My DD is 9 months and wakes 1-2 times a night. When she wakes up she is high as a kite. Cheerful shrieking, chattering, laughing, wriggling the lot. She grabs her toys in her cot and cheerfully chats away to them.

Generally I give her a bottle as I find the milk tends to make her drowsy and means she is more likely to fall asleep again within 20 minutes.

I've tried leaving her but have caved every time at about 45 minutes because she is still showing no signs of going back to sleep and is still high as a kite.

So folks what can I do? Has anyone else had a cheerful night time screecher? Did they grow out of it? Did you manage to sleep train them?

claremoss Wed 12-Mar-14 21:26:52

Have you tried taking her toys out of the cot so she has nothing to play with/stimulate her when she wakes up? Just a thought...think I read it somewhere..

SunnyL Thu 13-Mar-14 06:48:01

interesting Clare. I put them in there during the dreaded 4 month sleep regression phase to give her something positive to associate to. Gosh taking away her bunny feels more cruel than leaving her. sad

claremoss Thu 13-Mar-14 07:07:26

Awww, don't listen to me then, maybe it is ok to leave her awake if she is not upset?? And buy some ear plugs?!

CrispyCrochet Thu 13-Mar-14 07:11:00

I don't know anything about sleep training but if she seems happy I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving her!

SunnyL Thu 13-Mar-14 07:15:54

I agree crispy except if I leave her the whole house wakes up. I'm wondering if anyone else has experience of sleep training happy babies - I just can't tell if it is worth the effort or whether I should just suck it up a bit longer.

Emmie10 Thu 13-Mar-14 20:33:22

My LO did this as she became more happy in her cot. It didn't last long and if she began to cry I got up to feed her but if not I would leave her. More often than not she would nod off herself while I was lying awake for ages waiting for her to need me!

SunnyL Fri 14-Mar-14 10:42:58

After me psyching myself up to 'do something' about DD's sleep she's just slept through til 6am that last 2 mornings. I feel like she is on the verge of sorting her sleep out. I just want to make sure I encourage it in the right way.

Ho hum - wish they came with an instruction manual!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now