Talk

Advanced search

Is two months too early to sleep in her own room?

(20 Posts)
BMack Wed 12-Mar-14 11:24:15

My daughter is ten weeks old and she is so noisy when she sleeps. I'm extremely lucky as she does sleep through the night (22:30-07:00!) but I don't sleep through the night because of all the noise!

I want to put her through to her own room and when I mentioned this to a friend she thought I was nuts, her son still sleeps in her room and he is a year old.

We live in a small house, her bedroom is right next door to mine and I'd also be using a baby monitor so I can hear the loud noises. (My monitor has a "Mute Low" which will mute the quieter snuffles and only let me hear the loud crys.)

I know current guidelines say to keep baby in your room until six months but, 1- I won't last that long, I need sleep too and 2- She' going to grow out of her Moses basket in a couple of weeks and I can't fit the cot in my room.

Has anyone else done this? Was it okay?

givemeaclue Wed 12-Mar-14 11:26:29

You need to keep her with you for min 6 months is the advice to protect against cot death. Use ear plugs if she is noisy. Babies need to hear their parents breathing to regulate their own breathing that is why they say to keep with you for six months, not so you can hear them!

HorseyTwinkleToes Wed 12-Mar-14 11:36:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Artandco Wed 12-Mar-14 11:39:21

Too early. Highest number of sudden infant deaths occur between 2-6 months

scarletforya Wed 12-Mar-14 11:42:11

Yes it's to early. Six months at least in your room to prevent cot death.

Even then a sound monitor on its own is no good. You need a movement monitor which detects breathing. If the baby stops breathing the alarm goes off.

IHeartKingThistle Wed 12-Mar-14 11:46:39

DS had to go into his own room at 2 months as he had grown out of the crib and the cot wouldn't fit through our bedroom door. We had a monitor but he was waking lots in the night at that point anyway. I do understand the safety advice but he was fine.

afrikat Wed 12-Mar-14 12:03:56

You will always find people who did this and their babies were fine. But most cot deaths happen when the baby is in their own room (either night or day) - the guidelines are there for a reason. Quite honestly if you are being woken up frequently at least you know your baby is ok
You can find alternatives to the Moses basket - we use the nct bednest and he is still in that at nearly 6 months

SoonToBeSix Wed 12-Mar-14 12:07:39

Yes it's too early, baby needs to regulate their breathing to yours that's the important thing not you hearing them. How about a small cot from kiddicare I think they are £40 .

JabberJabberJay Wed 12-Mar-14 12:08:20

Yes it's much too early for her to be in her own room.

Being in the same room as a parent helps babies to regulate their breathing which in turn helps to prevent SIDS.

It's not a question of being able to hear her on the monitor-she needs to hear you. And that can only happen if she's in your room.

Wear earplugs if she's noisy.

Beingfrank Wed 12-Mar-14 12:26:39

I really feel for you. All my children were noisy like yours and all were in their own room from about two months. The SIDS advice then mentioned nothing about regulating breathing, or if it did I was unaware (children range from 10 to 17).

The causes of SIDS are unknown, and it is rare. There are a number of pieces of advice, eg sleeping on back, feet to foot of cot, not overheating, not smoking all designed to minimise the tiny risk. You need to weigh up whether you think the risk of your baby sleeping in its own room is great enough to outweigh the inconveniences - lack of physical space, disruption to your sleep etc. I know that I would probably do the same again in your shoes, even knowing the advice but I will probably be flamed for saying it.

By the way all my noisy babies turned into loud snorers

BMack Wed 12-Mar-14 12:47:03

Thank you, all very helpful.

Beingfrank - that is exactly how I'm thinking.

7to25 Wed 12-Mar-14 12:58:37

Some bright spark must have invented a "parental breathing sounds" ap for the iPad.

ELR Wed 12-Mar-14 13:19:32

Both mine were in their own room after 3 weeks and were fine. I had a sensor breathing monitor thing though so that did give me peace of mind. I breast fed both until 6 months, night feeds always in their room from day one. Dd slept through at 5 weeks ds at 18 weeks.
Nobody can tell you what to do, that's your decision. Just make sure you are 100% happy with your decision.
Never heard of this regulating breathing thing though! must be a new thing.

Emmasmummy2013 Wed 12-Mar-14 13:21:28

It is rare and I'm sure is v unlikely to happen, however just imagine how you'd feel if it did, you'd always wonder what if she'd been in my room.

I'd give ear plugs a try first.

smile

Blankiefan Thu 13-Mar-14 12:17:55

Wow - these threads are usually more balanced. My DD went into her own room at 3 months. We understood the advice but felt that on balance, it was an ok thing to do. You've got to make your own decision.

I believe the SIDS peak is 2-3 months which is why we waited til after 3 months - you'll want to check the research for yourself. DD is 5 months now and transitioned really well into her own room (probably less of an issue for her than it was for me!). She is also a noisy monster so we're sleeping much better too.

I know people who have had their babies in with them for a year and others who out baby into the baby's own room on return from the hospital... Lots of people take the risk - but you have to accept that it is that - a risk...

Superworm Fri 14-Mar-14 12:44:12

It's not just the breathing sounds that are protective. They carbon dioxide parents breath out triggers breathing for them.

Two months is too early, ear plugs help a lot.

WillSingForCake Fri 14-Mar-14 17:11:02

It's not just the breathing sounds that are protective. They carbon dioxide parents breath out triggers breathing for them

This is speculation. It is not known why it is that the SIDS risk is higher for babies who sleep in a seperate room.

I would point out that the risk is tiny and other factors such as putting baby on their back, not smoking, have a much greater significance. Exclusively breastfeeding reduces the risk of SIDS too, but many people choose not to do that.

Ultimately you need to read the research yourself & draw your own conclusions.

You need a movement monitor which detects breathing

You don't "need" one. They're not compulsory. You may choose to have one for your own peace of mind, but they haven't reduced instances of SIDS.

NurseyWursey Fri 14-Mar-14 17:13:09

God help you when she's awake crying grin

It's much too early.

hairypaws Fri 14-Mar-14 17:16:16

Both mine went into their own rooms at 6 weeks old for this reason. For added peace of mind you could get one of the monitors which register breathing (angel monitor I think). I didn't have anything like that though but a family member does.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 14-Mar-14 17:16:41

Dd1 was in her own room by two months. I'm a light sleeper and between her and dp I was getting no sleep despite the fact that for a small baby she was a pretty good sleeper.

She out grew her basket too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now