Talk

Advanced search

6 week old won't settle during the day

(6 Posts)
kaatieexox Wed 12-Mar-14 02:20:40

Hi. I have a 6 week old DS who won't settle during the day. He normally wakes up around 7/8am then is awake for most of the day, till around 9pm ish. He must have about 2 hours of broken sleep during the day, so only going down for ten mins at a time then waking up and crying. I feed, change, wind, cuddle and put him back down and again ten mins and he's wide awake again. He usually sleeps from about 9pm to 1.30/2am then goes back down after a feed till 7ish. He had been doing this for the past week or so now the first 4 weeks he did a few solid 3hour sleeps. Is this normal? Thanks smile

Lostinspace82 Wed 12-Mar-14 07:13:52

I only have 1 lo so far so not a fountain of knowledge but in my experience this is totally normal. My ds is 4 months and both of us have now learned that he does actually need to sleep during the day but when he was around the same age as your lo I merrily told everyone he was a really awake baby and didn't really need to sleep - oh how naive I was! :-)

I think the guidelines are a maximum of 1 hour awake at 6 weeks and you really do have to teach them to sleep - putting ds in a sling really worked for me at that age - he'd sleep for hours cuddled up in it and I could get on with life - well, sort of!

kaatieexox Wed 12-Mar-14 09:41:29

He falls asleep on me but when I put him in his crib/pram he wakes up after 10 mins. I think I need to try a sling out. Just have him some infacol cos I think he had belly ache. Let's see if this works! Thanks for ur reply.

Bumbershoot Wed 12-Mar-14 10:18:10

We have the same problem! Got a sling but now DD won't sleep anywhere else - can't settle herself in her cot.

SamL88 Wed 19-Mar-14 11:26:31

My 4 week old DD is exactly the same. Sleeps brilliantly through the night but rarely naps in the day. She's completely content and happy but she needs her naps (as do I!). I'm reluctant to use a sling in the day as I don't want her getting used to it and then refusing her cot at night.

How long are you leaving LO awake before trying to settle them to sleep? I'm trying 1 1/2 - 2 hours from waking up to trying again - she yawns but fails to close her eyes!

keepitgoing Wed 19-Mar-14 11:54:45

I think that's too long Sam. at 4.5 months that's where we are.

ime night and day sleep are v different. my dd will not go in the cot in the day but will fine at night, so do what you need. I think at 6 weeks is when they stop dropping off all the time like newborns do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now