Talk

Advanced search

one year old baby that goes to sleep but wakes often, has anyone successfully used sleep training?

(14 Posts)
salt1 Tue 11-Mar-14 14:37:09

any advice greatfully taken. dd goes to sleep well at around 6.30 but wakes frequently through the night, often staying awake. we are shattered and the lack of sleep is making me ill. really need a bit of help and to hear some success stories....

TheDetective Tue 11-Mar-14 14:41:57

Yes, I used controlled crying at 12-13 months. He was waking through habit after previously sleeping through 7.30pm-8am at 7.5 months.

He was waking and unable to self settle - which he had previously learned to. He would still self settle at bed/nap times, but once he woke half the time he wasn't able to soothe himself back to sleep.

It was quick and painless, and we have now had 2.5 months of excellent sleeping. In fact, last night was utterly amazing astounding in that he went to bed at 7.30, and slept until me and DP woke in a panic this morning at 11am shock. We had to wake him blush.

I am just praying we won't get a sleep regression soon...

He now regularly does 7.30pm-8am again. We do get the odd lie in from him too grin as above - but usually it would be 9-10am.

salt1 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:01:48

oh wow thedetectives that sounds amazing. dd has never slept brilliantly, but is getting harder to settle with a breastfeed and she is waking when I am sure she is not hungry. did you go in calm baby, give it a minute, do same after 5 mins, 10 mins ect?

rachyconks Tue 11-Mar-14 15:10:48

Hi salt. What sort of naps does she have during the day. 6:30 is quite early to bed; my DD isn't down until 7:30 and then up at 7/7:30. Although she still sometimes wakes at 1/2 am for milk. Though that's cut down from 3/4 night wakings. We let her nap 10-12 then 3pm for 45mins-1hr. Now she is in the process of dropping the afternoon nap and her morning nap had shifted to 11:30ish (she's 15 months). She is def sleeping better since starting to drop the afternoon nap.

We did do controlled crying at around 10/11 months to help her learn to self settle, which helped, but I know it's not for everyone. She goes to nursery 3 days a week and settles to sleep there no problems (they did CC at the start too) - I think this has helped her at home.

It is really hard, so many of her peers have been sleeping through for months, and I kept thinking, where did we go wrong. But now I've just accepted that she is a bit of a crap sleeper! DC2 is due in 3 weeks and I'm really hoping they are better.

TheDetective Tue 11-Mar-14 15:13:39

Yes, I went in after 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc.

I wouldn't pick him up, I would hand him his muslin cloth (he sucks it) and turn Ewan on, tell him I loved him, but it was night time, and say goodnight. And walk out.

Sat outside the door, and went back in at the next check time.

He wasn't hysterical, which helped. He was just crying as if he was annoyed. Shouting more.

The only bit I winged it a bit on was that sometimes he would stop for a minute or two. Then start again. I never knew what the right thing to do was in terms of when to go in. So I would leave him whatever the next length of time was before going in. Often he would settle himself before I would need to go in.

The first night took an hour, second night 10 minutes. We didn't need to do it on the 3rd night. grin

TheDetective Tue 11-Mar-14 15:15:07

That sounds wrong if you don't know who Ewan is blush blush blush.

Ewan the dream sheep grin. A harping miracle in soothing a tired baby! grin

salt1 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:18:06

is 6.30 really that early if her day starts 6 -6.30. I did not think it was the bed time that really mattered.

salt1 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:45:15

haha yeah I know who ewan is. I am wondering whether this will work for us as going to sleep is no trouble. it is staying asleep.. would you do this is lo woke at 10pm for example? x

Shatteredmamma1 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:02:21

We used it at 11 months OP. One really horrible night (not the first night oddly) and 2 easy nights. Then Sleeping through.,just make sure you can hack it, it can work really well. Good luck smile

salt1 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:05:17

thanks shatteredmamma1 I currently have a flu type thing and feel ill, would I be crazy to start tonight or wait til better? I am desperate ...

Shatteredmamma1 Tue 11-Mar-14 18:06:52

How strong are you? Or is your DP involved? If he can do it then go for it tonight but if not you'll just be desperate for the easy way if you're feeling poorly thanks so maybe wait a night or so?

Shatteredmamma1 Tue 11-Mar-14 18:07:48

Btw I was desperate too. But then things got much better very quickly (touches lots of wood...) Good luck.

salt1 Tue 11-Mar-14 20:29:23

thank you. we are gonna try tonight and see how we go x

TheDetective Tue 11-Mar-14 21:17:20

Good luck. Update here! I love a success story! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now