Talk

Advanced search

Dropping to one nap???

(21 Posts)
Shatteredmamma1 Mon 10-Mar-14 14:47:14

Hi ladies
I have seen threads on this previously but it seemed a long way off to me at the time so sorry if it's been done to death...

DS is a year old, a few weeks ago started fighting his afternoon nap so I moved it back by 30 minutes and all seemed well. The last few days he has either fought his morning or afternoon nap and I've had enough!!! He is also generally taking longer to go to sleep. I was hoping to hold on to the morning nap for a while longer as he is up so early but wonder what everyone thinks. Here is our 'current routine' ...

Wake up 6am (or just before)
Nap 9-10.30 (I don't let him sleep past 10.30 so if he goes down at 9.30 he gets an hour)

Second nap 2pm- 3/3.30 ish.
Bedtime 7pm, asleep by 7.15 ish.

What do you all think? After 6 months of two lovely cot naps a day I've been reduced to walks and drives on some days , is it time to drop to one lunchtime nap?
T I A smile

Nevercan Mon 10-Mar-14 14:51:07

Yes I would say so. I would push the morning nap back so it gradually becomes the lunchtime snooze

Happydaze247 Mon 10-Mar-14 14:52:27

What about reducing the length of the morning nap? We gradually reduced dd's morning nap to 30 mins, which made the transition from 2-1 much easier.

Shatteredmamma1 Mon 10-Mar-14 14:54:12

Ooh quick replies thanks. He had a 30 minute nap in the car this am but still took ages to go to sleep now. But I think you're right happydaze-it's too long. I might try that.
nevercan is that what you did? Were you left with a long afternoon though or did that not matter?

Thanks ladies

KatAndKit Mon 10-Mar-14 19:33:03

I had similar problems. I made the morning nap a quick catnap on the way somewhere, 30 minutes tops. If he didn't go to sleep because the buggy ride was too interesting then tough luck, no nap. Then the afternoon nap became a nice cot nap after lunch. If he didn't sleep in the morning I tried to serve lunch at half eleven so he could get to bed earlier. Eventually the morning snooze stopped. It took about 2 months to go from 2 proper naps to just one.

KatAndKit Mon 10-Mar-14 19:33:43

I had similar problems. I made the morning nap a quick catnap on the way somewhere, 30 minutes tops. If he didn't go to sleep because the buggy ride was too interesting then tough luck, no nap. Then the afternoon nap became a nice cot nap after lunch. If he didn't sleep in the morning I tried to serve lunch at half eleven so he could get to bed earlier. Eventually the morning snooze stopped. It took about 2 months to go from 2 proper naps to just one.

Shatteredmamma1 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:28:56

Thanks kat. Was your DS a similar age? I think that's the way we are heading really. We have had a couple if days where he's woken after 7 (not for a few weeks!!) where he then wouldn't do a morning nap do I did an early lunch as you suggest. It's just a long time when he's up before 6!! I will persevere ...

KatAndKit Mon 10-Mar-14 21:00:53

Yes, he is 23 months now and has been happily on one nap since 17 months, i think he has only had 2 naps a handful of times since then. As a result he sleeps in half an hour later these days which is a definite bonus.

Shatteredmamma1 Tue 11-Mar-14 10:19:18

Ah right. Yes that was part of my reason got posting- DS is only just 12m and it seems a bit early. He's napping now but going to wake him shortly, I hate waking sleeping babies!!! smile

DeathMetalMum Tue 11-Mar-14 21:29:15

My dd has dropped down to one nap at 11 months. She will either go for a nap before lunch around 11ish or after around 1 depending on when she wakes I the morning (often wakes with her sister).

If she still has two naps then they tend to be two 45 minutes and we have a very tired baby by the end of the day if its one it is usually close to three hours equaling a much happier baby.

Chells Tue 11-Mar-14 21:37:48

My DD started doing the same thing around 11-13 months . I started 'keeping her going' ( lots of outings , no naps in car!) until an early lunch at 11:30 ish. she would then go for a nap for 1-3 hrs straight after lunch. Initially a lot of tired screaming but did get her into a good nap routine. She's now 22 months and We've gradually moved lunch time to 12:30. she goes down for a nap at 13:30 ish for 2-3 hrs, not sure how much longer this will last hmm
Much happier girl in afternoon and is asleep by 8pm. ( she has later bedtime so she can see daddy as he works 2 hrs from home) persevere! It's tough at first as morning seems to stretch forever! Investigate baby/ toddler groups and start re-planning your routine...

Shatteredmamma1 Wed 12-Mar-14 06:31:45

Thanks ladies. The last 2 days we've done a short morning nap then a long afternoon one, and he has been waking later ....(touches wood!!) I will keep trying this but if he doesn't nap in the morning go for the early lunch. It just makes the morning seem long otherwise as you say and I was hoping for at least another 2 months of 2 naps!!! smile

kalidasa Wed 12-Mar-14 06:55:26

Just to reassure you about the range of variation - DS is 15 months and he has never had two naps the length of yours, unless he is ill. He's been on a mix of 1 (if he wakes up at 6 or later) or 2 (if he wakes at 5 or 5.30!) for months now, but if he does have a morning one it's only half an hour and his 'main' nap after lunch is always only 30-60 minutes. We ALL wish he slept more! His childminder has been complaining about it since he was five months old and he first started there. Anyway, I share your pain with the LONG mornings.

MinesAPintOfTea Wed 12-Mar-14 07:19:41

Ds dropped to one nap between 12-14 months, he would have a few days without it them in a quiet day would have 2 2 hour naps. I've never woken from naps though (except when needing to go somewhere), just rolled with what he needs.

Now he has a2 hour nap from 11:30. I refuse to eat lunch early enough for this so we have a substantial elevenses (toast or cheese and crackers or similar) and then a light lunch when he wakes.

Shatteredmamma1 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:20:55

Thanks mines. I've only been waking from the morning one as otherwise he's been struggling to go down for the afternoon one. I don't like doing it though- yesterday he was so sleepy when I got him up after 45 minutes. It's just complicated by the fact I'm about to go back to work and want the childminder to have something to work with!

HaroldLloyd Wed 12-Mar-14 09:33:48

Ds2 has never had 2 naps, ds1 dropped his morning one about this age. I find it loads easier with just one, hopefully he will wake a little later for you.

Shatteredmamma1 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:48:35

Thanks kalidasa and harold. Yes I don't really mind if he drops to one- I can see it would be easier in some ways- definitely in the house less. I just don't quite feel I've got it right anymore, after being happy we were doing what he wanted. I almost feel like he needs 1.5 naps?! At the moment he is sleeping late in the afternoon which ruins any social things (!) although doesn't seem to stop him going to bed. Ho hum just when we had things sorted!!! smile

PickleMobile Wed 12-Mar-14 09:57:00

I've been wondering this as dd has not had her afternoon nap for the last 3 days.

She sounds so tired though but just refused to sleep. She's almost 12 months and I thought that was a bit young for dropping to one nap but reading this it seems normal at this age.

Sorry I can't give any advice!

MinesAPintOfTea Wed 12-Mar-14 10:13:26

Don't worry about having things settled for the cm. He will probably nap differently there anyway. I mean having a basic routine and settling method for naptime is helpful but she should be able to cope and react to him being tired/wakeful.

HaroldLloyd Wed 12-Mar-14 10:40:55

I would aim to get him in for his nap after lunch, so something like 12-2 then you can do things in the morning and afternoon.

Shatteredmamma1 Wed 12-Mar-14 10:54:20

Yes sounds good. We've had 2 days where he totally fought the am nap though and it only resulted in one 50 minute nap (!) and the other day was 1.5 hours. Not quite enough!! But I will aim towards that I think. Thanks ladies thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now