Talk

Advanced search

Is this as good as it gets?

(4 Posts)
maui50 Sun 09-Mar-14 07:50:23

My 6mo DS is inconsistent in many things, but one thing he is remarkably consistent about is waking at 5.45 every morning. We had the briefest of blips there at 4mo when he woke at the magical hour of 7.15 - oh how I long for those heady days! (not that I slept that morning - I kept wondering if he was ok and when he would wake up!).

Even on days when he naps very well e.g. 1 hour nap in the morning, 2 hour nap at lunchtime, 7pm bedtime, he still wakes at 5.45am. There are days when he doesn't nap as well, and days when for whatever reason we don't get him to bed till 7.30 or 8 - but still the same wake-up time.

He is bf, and now solids, at regular intervals during the day and ff dream feed at 10pm. To be fair to him, he settles immediately after a dream feed and since 4mo we don't get any night-wakings looking for food. Occasionally he wakes at 4am but almost always resettles himself.

He has just started sitting up and also just started on solids; two weeks ago we had a horrendous time with everything so I'm putting that down to the 6mo growth spurt. Things are calm now but basically despite the new skill and the introduction to solids, the wake-up time hasn't changed!

When he wakes at 5.45, he's usually wide awake. We then tend to either co-sleep for as long as he'll last (he does manage it on most days but it's broken sleep for the three of us), or else I co-sleep with him in the spare room (broken sleep for two of us instead!). Charming as all this is, I feel now that he's hit the 6mo mark, I want a change. Do I want him co-sleeping even for an hour when he's 9 months old, a year old? No thanks (saying that, will definitely do it when he's sick/needs extra comfort etc).

We're just starting now to take turns to hang out with him in his room till 6.30; he is content to be quiet and play until then (some days he can last till 7 for milk). But I would love to have that extra 45 minutes in bed!

So. Is he likely to sleep through that one extra REM cycle - 5.45 to 6.30 - ever again? Can we do something different during the day in terms of feeds and naps to facilitate this? How do you get the baby to sleep 7-7 instead of 7-6?

Or this is as good as it gets?

lilystem Sun 09-Mar-14 07:53:01

If he's content and babbling I would just leave him in his cot.

Mine did this for a good few months between 6-9 months but suddenly started going through till 7. Looking back it was when he was getting more physically active so that might of had something to do with it.

Good luck!

RoganJosh Sun 09-Mar-14 07:55:24

You could try putting him to bed 20 mins later, but tbh I wouldn't mess with what you've got. The clocks changing may change it anyway. I hope it's in the right direction, my DD1 always changed in the wrong direction, so in spring she'd be up at 4.30.

maui50 Sun 09-Mar-14 08:31:59

lily, he's usually quite shouty at that hour so not really content. I interpret it as looking for company. Either way, we can't sleep through it. So hopefully he'll follow the same pattern as your DS and sort himself out at 9 months.

Rogan, tell me about the clocks changing? So he's likely to just wake up at 6.45 instead, automatically? Or like your DD - 4.45?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now