Talk

Advanced search

Waking every hour, co-sleeping 8 month old

(4 Posts)
Playingitbyear Fri 07-Mar-14 19:09:52

Our situation seems to be getting worse and worse and endless searching online and reading books has not helped - I need advice from real mums!

Our boy is 8 and a half months and used to sleep through the night 7pm-7am from age 3 months - 6 months. I didn't realise how lucky we were. Then he started waking once a couple of hours after going to sleep. Then it became twice a night, then three times, and so on, and now on a bad night it's every hour.

He goes to sleep initially pretty easily by just being out down in his cot and I sit in our bed next to him (he is in our room) until he is asleep. He usually doesn't cry and just drifts off.

When he wakes up, though, he is crying, and I breastfeed him, burp him and try to put him back in his cot. He cries and I put him in our bed. For the rest of the night I breastfeed him every time he wakes up and cries and put him back down next to me. Last night it was 7 feeds. If I try to just soothe him rather than feed him he carries on crying (until I give in!).

Maybe it doesn't sound too bad but my partner is now sleeping in a different room (not enough space with DS's rolling) and I am back at work feeling like a zombie with the constant wake-ups. DS must be tired too!

What am I doing wrong?

RalphRecklessCardew Fri 07-Mar-14 19:12:59

First of allwine.

Next. Is he getting enough food during the day?

Playingitbyear Fri 07-Mar-14 19:36:31

And cake (me, not the baby)

I think he has enough food in the day, but to be honest he is quite a big boy, so maybe he is still hungry.... Generally his routine is something like:

7am 120ml formula
9am yoghurt
9.15 nap for half an hour
11am about 50ml of savoury purée and 50ml of fruit purée with about 100ml formula
12.30 nap for half an hour
2pm 200ml formula
4pm nap for half an hour
5pm 50ml formula plus about 50ml savoury and 50ml fruit purée
5.45 bath
6.15 150ml formula
6.30 bed
Then he has between 3 and 7 breastfeeds during the night.

Sorry, this was probably FAR too much information and I'll understand if you are now running fast in the opposite direction...

philosophicmum Fri 07-Mar-14 19:56:32

It sounds a bit like reverse cycling - he's doing what he would normally do during the daytime at night because that's when you're around. What's he like in the evenings? Can you breastfeed him as often as possible then, before you go to bed, and see if he can get some of it out of his system then? It's not that unusual at this age, unfortunately, and if they're more active and playing during the day, they use the nights to tank up on milk instead of interrupting their play during the daytime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now