Talk

Advanced search

Amount of sleep during the day?

(7 Posts)
SunshineOnMe Fri 07-Mar-14 14:15:07

Just wondering how much sleep you allow your baby during the day? My 16 week old seems to need loads. An hour in the morning, 2 to 2 1/4 hours at lunch and then she seems to need 2 shorter naps in the afternoon. I tend not to let her sleep for more than 30 mins a time in the afternoons as I'm worried that she won't sleep at night. Please share what you do as I'm keen to figure out what works for her - she is clearly a baby that needs sleep (just like her mummy!!) wink

CheeseTMouse Fri 07-Mar-14 15:20:52

I have a not very napping baby - she tends to have 3-4x30mins naps across the day - if that, and she's always been like that. But she's also not great over night either with 2-3 wake ups.

I do think sleep begets sleep and so personally I wouldn't worry too much about the afternoon naps.

They are all different and even within my group of friends all the babies are doing differently. I don't think there is one way and it sounds like you are doing well.

SunshineOnMe Fri 07-Mar-14 18:24:40

Thanks cheese. I think we're doing ok but it's useful to know what others are doing in case we want to adapt it slightly. She's not going through the night yet - fingers crossed she will soon xx

Lostinspace82 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:02:51

We're currently doing 45 mins in the morning, a couple of hours at lunchtime and 15 minutes late afternoon but my son will also do 4 x 45 minute naps spaced roughly 1.5 hours apart (wake time) quite happily. I have found though that if I let him sleep later than 4pm he won't go to sleep till 8/9pm and will still wake up ready for the day at around 6am so I've stopped letting him nap late in the day...regardless of which nap schedule we have, my son wakes up 2-3 times a night every night

Mummyonthehill Fri 07-Mar-14 19:30:53

Completely agree that sleeping more in the daytime helps sleep at night. When our little one started sleeping in the day he stopped Waking every Hour at night.
When he started getting 3-4 hrs of naps a day, he slept through (albeit very briefly) around 4.5 months.
He's now stopped napping again (who knows why) -getting about 1.5 hrs in total a day, and night time sleep hand deteriorated gain, with 3 wake ups last night.

DelBot123 Sun 09-Mar-14 18:26:59

My 15 week old only manages 2-3 hrs of naps in the day usually in her carrier. She gets tired.about 4 or 5 so I let her have an hour or so then. Its v close to bed time but I wouldn't like it if someone stopped me from sleeping if I were tired so I let her sleep. It means she well rested for bed so she goes down easily too. If she's over tired for bed it can take an hour for her to nod off. I tend not to worry about how long she sleeps though, I provide lots of opportunity for her to sleep (long walks in the carrier, breastfeeding in her nursery dim lights etc) but if she doesn't sleep I don't force her

Artandco Sun 09-Mar-14 18:33:09

At 16 weeks mine were never awake for more than 90 mins at a time. Roughly 9am wake, 10.30-11.30am nap, 1-2pm nap, 3.30-4.30 nap, 6-7pm nap, 9-11pm nap on us/ cluster feed. 11pm-9am sleep

Now almost 3 my youngest still naps 2-3 hrs in the day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now