Advanced search

Help!! 4week old not napping without being held to sleep

(8 Posts)
Vonni30 Wed 05-Mar-14 16:44:23

My wee girl was sleeping well in the Moses basket when fed/activity/fed/sleep. If caught in time for the first yawn etc. basically just following her sleepy cues. The past few days she has decided that once in the Moses basket she will sleep a few mins and then wake again. If held long enough to go into a deep sleep she will stay there for a longer nap. I don't want to get into bad habits and holding to sleep though . Could all of this just be a growth spurt phase or are we at risk of teaching bad habits?

I am not a stickler for sleep training at this age at all but I also don't want to make a rod for my own back and have to hold her at night etc.

PurplePidjin Wed 05-Mar-14 16:46:53

at 4 weeks old there's no such thing as a bad habit. enjoy your cuddled!

love from mum to a 15mo who used to be exactly the same and now sleeps only in his cot/car seat/buggy!

JuniperTisane Wed 05-Mar-14 16:48:16

DS2 was a one for not sleeping unless he was held upright against one of us. I just stuck him in a sling in the end. At about 8-9 weeks he learned to sleep in a swing, it wasn't til about 14 weeks that he started sleeping when he was put down again.

There are no bad habits forming at just 4 weeks old. She just wants to stay close to you. Best thing you can do is accept it and remember it passes.

Zucker Wed 05-Mar-14 16:52:41

At 4 weeks old she has no idea where she's sleeping, you're not making any rods for anyones back by snuggling with her.

DelBot123 Wed 05-Mar-14 18:30:02

I totally agree with the others. No bad habits just go with what your baby wants. I still hold mine dd (she's 15 weeks) for naps - gives me a good excuse to read, and she sleeps on her own at night - she seems to know the difference.

Jojay Wed 05-Mar-14 18:32:56

I agree they she's far too young to worry about bad habits. Swaddling can work wonders at this age, they feel all wrapped up and secure evenwhen you put them down.

Vonni30 Wed 05-Mar-14 20:00:04

Thanks all. Going to try just going with the flow and hope that she grows out of needing cuddled to sleep. Only worry about it so much during the day as I have a 2 year old that needs attention too. smile Could be far worse things though than having to cuddle my beautiful daughter. smile. Hopefully she does settle to not needing held just as long is we can get a good routine started but that will be a good few weeks off. smile

ginmakesitallok Wed 05-Mar-14 20:02:29

Repeats, she's only 4 weeks!!! Can't believe you're talking about her growing out of things. She's only new!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now