Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I break this pattern?

(12 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Wed 05-Mar-14 07:29:50

DS2 used to sleep beautifully. It took a while to get there but at 7 weeks he was going 9pm-9am with just one wake up at 2am for breast feed.

Then he had his 8 week infant jabs & has never been the same since - started waking sporadically in the night.

The past 3 days have been the worst. He's now 13 weeks & has been waking every 1.5 hours all night long & screaming unless I feed him. He's got his second imms today so I'm dreading it getting even worse.

My q is - what do I do? When he wakes, I feed him for about 10-15 mins until he drops off again then put him straight back in his basket, no cuddles or talking etc. bit concerned im now making it a pattern though & teaching him to need feeding every hour all night??

But nothing else settles him. A dummy just makes him cross, he won't self settle, sssh patting takes much longer...DH thinks I should let him cry it out but that seems really harsh for a 13 week baby especially if he's going through a growth spurt or something & really does need food all night.

What do you think? TIA

Blueuggboots Wed 05-Mar-14 07:33:05

I hate to say this, but 9-9 at 7 weeks is a massive fluke! What you are experiencing now is pretty normal for a 13 week old....is he breast or formula fed? Could try a dummy if he's actually looking for comfort, although that brings up other issues.....

coffetofunction Wed 05-Mar-14 07:35:38

Blueuggboots, I'm sorry to say it was not a massive fluke!! Both my children have slept through from 3 weeks & 6 weeks!!

Sid77 Wed 05-Mar-14 07:42:13

He's probably having a growth spurt. Sleeping through at such a young age might not be a massive fluke, but if you took 100 13 week olds, I think many more would be waking in the night than sleeping through.

The annoying thing about babies is just when you think you've got it sussed and they have settled into a pattern, they mix it all up again!! At least IME smile

Sid77 Wed 05-Mar-14 07:44:08

Oh and please don't let him cry it out, 13 weeks is tiny. He's waking because he needs something. I don't think that any type of controlled crying method is advised (if you choose to do it) until at least 6 months if not older.

Liveinthepresent Wed 05-Mar-14 07:49:31

If you search / google 4 month sleep regression and Wonderweeks you may find some answers.
Your baby will be experiencing huge developments and this can affect sleep.
Similar happened to my DS at 13 weeks.
All very normal.
If you can I would try settling him in different ways in the night I think - but I am saying that because I now have an 8.5 month old who still thinks he needs to be fed to sleep in the night. Easier said than done I know.

Liveinthepresent Wed 05-Mar-14 07:50:49

Oh gosh yes I am not suggesting CIO ! Too little.

BoyMeetsWorld Wed 05-Mar-14 16:22:10

Thanks everyone - what alternative ways to settle him should I try as he won't take a dummy or self settle?

Blueuggboots Wed 05-Mar-14 21:00:54

Coffeetofunction - you are very very lucky interesting choice of nickname then!!!!! smile
My DS didn't sleep through until 13 months!!

Bluecarrot Wed 05-Mar-14 23:34:05

Is he drinking milk or just sucking for comfort?

Have you tried white noise? Hairdrier, radio between stations, youtube or apps...

I'd try cuddling, patting on bum in a heartbeat rhythm, and using white noise. He obv needs snuggles atm

<panicks that dd2s 12 hour night will be disrupted by next weeks jabs>

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Wed 05-Mar-14 23:41:47

Is he hungry? Feed him?

Liveinthepresent Thu 06-Mar-14 01:54:14

Me and my big mouth... If only I knew other ways to settle my DS I wouldn't be on my second night feed..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now