Talk

Advanced search

Is there ANY way to stop 6mo rolling in cot?

(18 Posts)
Gerty1002 Wed 05-Mar-14 06:35:07

My 6mo DS has truly mastered rolling from back to front, but his favourite time to do practice then try to crawl is sleep time! He used to self settle really well but now just constantly flips over, then gets stuck and annoyed as he hasn't masteref rolling the other way yet! He does it several times in his sleep too and wakes up crying, then won't settle as he's off rolling again! I'm exhausted...
Someone please tell me "this too shall pass..." quickly!

NickNacks Wed 05-Mar-14 06:37:15

Roll up some towels or blankets and put the down the side of him. Put the bottom mattress sheet on afterwards.

Athrawes Wed 05-Mar-14 06:44:03

A safety sleep. Works.

MrsSpencerReid Wed 05-Mar-14 06:44:29

It does pass, promise, was an amazing day once ds learnt to roll both ways!!

Mumof3xx Wed 05-Mar-14 06:44:32

I would leave him to it tbh

He's learnt a new skill and is practicing it

Gerty1002 Wed 05-Mar-14 06:54:06

Have done that to no avail NickNacks. Mumof3 I would but he cries as he is frustrated and also exhausted! I wouldn't mind if he would go to sleep on his tummy but he never has.

Gerty1002 Wed 05-Mar-14 08:43:45

Athrawes I have just quickly looked those up... very steep price for something I hope not to be need for long

Racheyg Wed 05-Mar-14 14:49:44

Hi Gerty,

my son started doing this aswell at 6 months, and we did the towel trick. After 2/3 weeks he started to roll back and now only likes sleeping on his side/front he is 34 weeks tomorrow.

MostlyMama Wed 05-Mar-14 14:51:54

I would honestly leave him to it, if he can roll there he can roll back. He will be fine, you only need worry about them being on front when really small, when they get mobile its fine. x

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Wed 05-Mar-14 15:05:15

They get better at not getting stuck, however my 7 month old ds gets put in the middle of his cot in a gro bag and will either end up squashed in a corner either end. Or sleeping wedged on the side on his tummy.
I'm sure it will pass, however I roll all over the place when sleeping, so maybe it won't.
Also ds sleeps in a travel cot with a proper mattress as I thought this might happen and didn't like the thought of bumped heads and arms or legs getting stuck thru the bars.

Gerty1002 Wed 05-Mar-14 15:53:53

Thanks everyone. MostlyMama he can't roll the other way yet unfortunately and I don't like to leave him crying, especially if there is an actual reason that he can't rectify himself. The towel trick just means he ends up mounted on the towel... maybe I need bigger towels?!

Gerty1002 Wed 05-Mar-14 16:08:40

Racheyg My DS has slept on his side for about 6 weeks now - he has reflux and is much more settled that way but not on his tummy.

dodi1978 Wed 05-Mar-14 16:56:31

He will grow out of it. Honestly. Probably quicker than you think.
Been there, done that. Now looking forward to the standing up in cot bit.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Wed 05-Mar-14 17:02:14

It's normal and how they learn. dodi is right too, give it a few months and it'll be climbing to his feet and trying to walk in his sleep.

Gerty1002 Wed 05-Mar-14 19:21:52

Guess I shall just have to suck it up and wait it out (which I knew anyway really) ... hopefully it won't last too long as we're all exhausted!

Gerty1002 Wed 05-Mar-14 22:35:04

After all that he has fallen asleep in his tummy! Now awaiting him waking up furious...

movingmovingmoving Wed 05-Mar-14 22:56:01

Leave then to it but when they're awake spend loads of time encouraging them to roll back and forth; like dangling toys for them to roll towards; it might reduce the duration of suffering a little!

Gerty1002 Thu 06-Mar-14 06:27:09

He slept like that all night, bar one hour long wake up at midnight! Vast improvement, perhaps I have a tummy sleeper after all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now